VIC New wave of within reach supply or price hike in 2021?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tonys_on_a_mission, 1st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tonys_on_a_mission

Tonys_on_a_mission New Member

Hi all,

I am looking to secure an investment property in the coming months and have targeted several different areas that I would consider having great not-too-distant future growth opportunities and potential for CG ("areas" I have defined as being the next big wave of suburbs located on the edge / just outside of Melbourne's metropolitan region in the northern suburbs and down the bayside area through to the Kingston CC, and have single detached homes on decent blocks of land.)

In some of these areas, monitoring over the last 6-12-18 months, my experience has been that during the peak COVID period, supply increased dramatically and prices dropped (not breaking news). IMO - In more recent times, these areas have seen an enormous amount of sales presumably gone to those who are ready made investors with money in their pockets and find themselves at a lower risk given their financial capacity, and/or to job secure families ready to make their next move. Due to this, my concern is I've missed the boat of opportunity as I just wasn't financially ready then, but I am now and fear supply is going to become of a shortage within these sorts of suburbs and properties, or will become increasingly out of reach again like with the prices we saw in 2017 -18.

I wanted to gauge peoples opinions or expertise on when they think the next wave of supply will come in these sorts of suburbs. Will the conclusion of Jobkeeper and Jobseeker see another mass wave of homes up for sale? Do you think this will have any impact on slowing down the pricing hike we are seeing at the moment?

All opinions and disagreements with the above or alternative views are welcome, thanks in advance :)

2. Scott2233

Scott2233 Active Member

no one got crystal ball , but seems there is a big price hike in 2021

3. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

4. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

This slide is from CBA's recent investor presentation 31/12/2020 page 72, CBA have 25,000 residential loans still being deferred (47% of them located in Vic) :
    upload_2021-2-15_12-23-40.png

The whole presentation data set here if you'd like to dig deeper:
    https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/a...access_token=83ff96335c2d45a094df02a206a39ff4

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2021
  5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

There's another possibility too: that there are a huge number of people waiting for the market to crash in March. If it doesn't crash, they might say; ok well we still need a house. That could be a lot of pent up demand.

I expected the market to go nuts in March. It started in Dec / Jan. Was it premature?...or is the big wave yet to come?

So the irony is waiting for it to drop may end up going in the complete opposite direction..

craigc likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

THIS is what it looks like when people are WAITING?

7. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I don't have a crystal ball either, but I'm optimistic that a wave of home loan defaults is unlikely to occur when the jobkeeper/seeker is removed.

The ABS's most recent job vacancy statistics shows Vic almost back to normal when you combine both public and private job vacancy numbers (Vic 60,100 job vacancies Nov 2019 vs Vic 58,400 vacancies Nov 2020) And this data is already outdated, I suspect the next set of numbers will be much better.

upload_2021-2-15_12-37-7.png
    upload_2021-2-15_12-37-43.png

8. Liquidity

Liquidity Well-Known Member

Working in financial institution (non Big 4) our economics team remains bullish on Aus and it is clear the economy is performing well and employment is solid. While certain sectors remain impacted the vast majority are going about their normal lives. As a result, equity market investors are not concerned about the end of JK or JS

We have also seen that banks will not force people to sell and those that need to sell will easily be absorbed by the market. The 'March test of the market' is the news media trying to have something to say. I wouldn't be banking on anything changing then. At best prices prices will flatline in March for a couple of months as additional supply comes on board. The likelihood that prices will be lower seems low to me.

craigc likes this.
  9. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

10. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

11. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Yes clinker brick but inside is not renovated. 8 had a renovated interior and bigger floorplan.

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

If our largest lender has 25,000 and 1.4% of loans in deferral and of that 74% are at less than 80% LVR, that leaves 0.36% or 6,500 loans ‘at risk’.
    I’m not sure what their normal provision is for bad loans but I’d be surprised if it’s much lower than that.
    Either way with a fast recovering economy (recent employment, job creation & participation rate all strong) and with only Vic lagging due to making a mess of hotel quarantines, I can’t see a big cliff or r/e crash coming in March or other future month as most have already moved off deferrals.
    Good luck all!

Liquidity likes this.