New trial Granny Flat rules for Victoria

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by craigc, 18th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ash Oz

Ash Oz Member

Yes we have this in NSW same size 60sqm rule and it worth doing for better cashflow. Hopefully trial had a good outcome and it is allowed. AHSEPP Fact Sheet- Granny Flats 20111219 (grannyflatbuilders-sydney.com.au)

I build one in NSW and my front tenant loved it as they kept asking when their relative can move in. Now their relative has moved in. Cost to build $120K low specs renting for $350 pw gave it below market as wanted to keep front and back tenants happy. This is in cheaper area some areas you can rent them for $500 pw.

You can fit alot in 60 sqm. Mine has 2 bedrooms and an ensuite too. Outside is cladding not brick as it takes away from internal space. I was going to travel and live there when not travelling but when Covid hit. Bye Bye travel so decided to rent it

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2021
  2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Secondary Dwelling Code

3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks mate

4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Suncorp do it under a strata policy at a good price (in NSW). I am very happy. But yes many insurers didnt really have a good way of dealing with gfs on seperate leases.

5. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Do you guys see the granny flat industry booming if the law gets passed?

korando1234 likes this.
  6. euro73

AAMI , CGU and NRMA are just 3 insurers who my clients and I ( I own Dual Occs too) seem to have no issue finding insurance with.

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Jun, 2021
  7. euro73

it will take a while to get going , just as it did in NSW , but it will follow the trend in NSW and become quite popular

korando1234 and Luca like this.
  8. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Maybe the right time to start a granny flat company ;-)

9. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

No update yet from the Vic trial that I can find published from google searches.
    Note trial period ended March 2021 so should be some feedback/update by now I would have thought.

Note trial still requires the garden space requirement as per zone of the property (eg 30% for some zones). Also given low yields in Melb/Vic the rental return for product may not be as good as in NSW/Qld.

Will be interesting to see where this leads.
    I’m watching.

Lucas100 likes this.
  10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Update from a planning contact - no further news as yet. After the initial 6 month trial it will take a while for review and issues / revisions required before any further announcements.

Basically it’s only 3 months since the trial period ended so is still in review by the government planning teams and we will need to wait to see where it goes next.

bamp, Reddy and bonchovies like this.
  11. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I reckon you can get 2 bedrooms from that or at least a bedroom and a study/bedroom.

Didn't realise that they were not legal in Vic as I rented one in the early 90s when living in Melbourne whilst touring Australia which explains the cash-only policy from my greek LL.

craigc likes this.
  12. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, I think it will happen, big ? is when however it looks like we are close...

craigc likes this.
  13. Lucas100

Lucas100 Member

Yeah I wrote to the planning minister and got a reply stating the a decision was imminent. That was 3 weeks ago. I think we will have an outcome by the end of the year at the latest. Fingers crossed

bamp, craigc and bonchovies like this.
  14. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

I used to live in a Western suburb of Melbourne where it seemed there were more houses with "independent Bungalows" than without. Council appears to have a don't ask, don't tell policy, but would be good if govt could just okay this to increase the supply of affordable rental property onto the market and also give safeguards to tenants as they wouldn't need to be under the table.

It's a win-win in my book if they allow this, but knowing government, that's probably enough to shut it down :confused:

15. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

There is no issue with building it unless you don`t ask for council approval and go illegal, but the same can happen for a carport, extension, and so on. Don`t understand the "don`t ask, don`t tell". The current problem is with renting it.

craigc likes this.
  16. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I was in the Williamstown/Newport area in the mid 90s not too far from the Westgate bridge. I was in Melbourne a couple of years back and had some spare time so took a visit, things have changed for the better, so it appeared.

craigc likes this.
  17. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

That's quite a nice area, williamstown is the best suburb in the west IMHO.

I lived MUCH further west :)

Colin Rice likes this.
  18. Lucas100

Lucas100 Member

19. Lucas100

Lucas100 Member

Hi Just received a letter from.the planning minister and the trail has ended and at this point in time it won't be rolled out state wide. Further analysis needs to be undertaken. It doesn't sound promising at least in the short term. Guessing nothing will eventuate for a while.

traveller and Terry_w like this.
  20. samBH

samBH New Member

Let’s just hope this gets through.Don’t understand why Victoria would be so different to the rest of Australia!! So much untapped potential to ease the housing issue.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia