New to this site...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Christopher and Jason, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Christopher and Jason

Christopher and Jason New Member

Hi All,

We are both new to this site, hoping to have others help us through the stages to get back on our feet after loosing our jobs, after the airline Ansett Australia closed its doors. We lost a lot after that as we both had full time jobs there. This also included the start of our protfoilo in investment properties. This was back in 2002, then thinking we were doing the right thing buying a franchises in a food chain "Healthy Habits" Melbourne central, that was a disaster from the start…. (Never trust franchises) with a HUGE loss over $500k..
    However here we are trying to start again….Any input would be very much appreciated..

Kind regards
    Christopher And Jason ;)

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Welcome aboard guys :)

With property investing - my advice is to educate yourself before jumping in. There's plenty of books - and free resources like this forum.

Spend time working out what you want out of property investing - and then devise a plan to meet that goal.

Cheers

Jamie

3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Welcome Chris and Jason.
    Its not all 'loss'. I believe you did gain enough knowledge not to repeat some mistakes.
    Tell us about your foray in investment properties.
    Also, share with us the story of your 'healthy habits' franchisee.

Bran, MTR and Xenia like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi Christoher and Jason
    I don't like franchises either but I love building businesses - my favourite form of real estate.

Welcome to the forum and as Jamie said, self education is key.
    What would you like to know?

MTR likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to the site,500k is a serious kick in the balls,but look at the experience you both have
    and i think a few would be interested in how it all went pear shape and why?,were the books cooked from the start or was there a simple difference with the probability and expectation from the start..

How To Embrace Failure..

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2016
    Kate Moloney likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome :).

If you are happy to share it would be good to hear your story. We have friends right now regretting going with a franchise set-up. They will likely lose a fair chunk and he may have to get a job if they can sell. He had retired, and decided to get into the food business thinking he could pop in a few days a week but he is instead working very long hours. He says he should have not touched a franchise.

7. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Welcome, @Christopher and Jason. :)

Sorry to hear of your troubles; hopefully you can get back on track soon. I agree with the advice above to educate yourselves first before jumping in, and recommend this forum highly as a great source of reading/learning resources.

My uneducated "spidey-sense" tells me buying a food service franchise is more often than not buying yourself a full-time job. :(

8. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

That's a lot of cheese in most anyone's language.

Did you have it to lose? (not suggesting you could afford it)

Or did it leave a crater for creditors?

Because its one thing to be wiped out with your own cash.

It's something else when it goes beyond that and creditors lose out too (and your credit rating suffers). And it would impact quite a bit on your way forward I expect - but a good broker (of which there are several on this forum) may be able suggest a pathway ahead.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Chirstopher and Jason

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your story, hopefully your situation will improve.

I wrote my story about what happened to us some 6 years ago in another thread on this site - How many hours a week do you "work"? - hopefully it will inspire you to move on to bigger and better things.

Fast forward today and we have now replaced both our incomes, so from a very dire financial situation things have completely turned around and we continue to invest etc.

My advice would be to look at ways to generate cash flow/income streams, whether it is property or another asset class and never give up.

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Apr, 2016
    ellejay, HUGH72, kierank and 2 others like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

MTR I think you have done very well to be able to detail your journey here. I'd love to see more detail one day. Well done for coming through stronger and looking forward.

MTR likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks
    I think if we can see the glass half full rather than half empty it will make for a much better life, not to mention it will rub off on your children, the greatest gift you can give IMO.

12. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Wether its credit lost or cash (or both) it still hurts.

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Welcome guys. Looking forward to your contribution.

14. Kate Moloney

G'day and welcome. If you want to make money, losing money (in big or small sums) is inevitable.

Financial hardship & loss doesn’t seem pleasant at the time you are going through it. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of prosperity for those who have been trained by it.

My advice, learn your lessons and explore your character & beliefs. You can look into "what" went wrong and you can also look at "who" you were and your thought processes that led you to make those choices. Mindset is the most important part of the wealth creation journey. As you evolve as a person, so will your investment choices and the people you attract into your life.

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Welcome to the other side of what is hopefully the beginning of a new life and path forward

Do you still feel the passion for investing in property that you had in 2002? I hope you do.

Anyway - I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Hopefully it built some strong characteristics but don't go looking for investing in property to be a magic saviour. Like anything, it doesn't take much to lose money when poor decisions are made. Take it slow, learn and grow and it may be a time to invest with a more moderate risk profile until you get your feet.

ellejay likes this.
  16. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

But starting with nothing and ok credit.

Is a lot more preferable than starting with a crater (creditors) and terrible credit.

17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Before going into business, one should ask oneself "Are you looking for a job or something more?". If you are after a job, go get one; don't go into business.

There is a big difference between going into business and getting a job. In business, typically the hours are a lot longer, the risks are a lot greater, the rewards can be a lot more, ...

With my wife, we have owned 4 businesses, spanning 30 years. In one (food service but not a franchise), we opened our doors 84 hours per week (12 hours/day, 7 days/week), had it for 18 months (wife became pregant) and made nothing. But we gained a lot of knowledge. With this knowledge and the knowledge we gained from business #2 (also worked long hours and made nothing), we were able to retire after selling businesses #3 and #4.

I trust you will see yor franchisee experience as a deposit on your future. Use that 'deposit' wisely and you will do well.

Christopher and Jason, welcome to PC.

samiam and wylie like this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey guys, welcome aboard.
    Some good suggestions above, would agree with doing plenty of research and reading some books.

19. Kate Moloney

of course, however whatever their situation is can't be changed. You just got to deal with the hand you got and focus on moving forward and if you lose your credit rating in the process just got to deal with it and keep moving forward.

Fielding and MTR like this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Welcome fellas!

Sorry to hear about the hard times with losing your job and a bad business venture. Some franchises really suck.

I was actually thinking of getting a Jim's Mowing franchise at one stage but I thought stuff it, I'm not going to spend each day cutting peoples' lawns and arguing over the job. I'd be worn out in six months time.

Property is a much easier proposition in my opinion.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.