NSW New to Sydney. $750k Budget

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Vijesh, 1st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

I meant no disrespect..
    I am not from Sydney and hence unaware of Willowdale,
    Google was showing willowdale to Sydney as 1.35 hr journey + plus walk from home and to office from stn (assuming)
    hence the query does it take 1.45 mins to travel daily one way?

Was curious to know what do Sydney siders consider as an acceptable travel time.

2. Hanh

Hanh Active Member

Willowdale is the estate name. Leppington is the suburb. You search Leppington. It is about 55mins by train to cbd in the morning

For acceptable travelling time, some people want maximum 30 mins. Some will consider up to one hour. Normally if people want a house, they have to commute longer.

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  3. Parkzilla

Parkzilla Well-Known Member

And a great heavy rail service in the southern half. I lived in Leichhardt and it was a 10 minute walk to Petersham station.

4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i am drawing a correct picture.. the Real picture how far leppington is from everything.
    no one stopping him as long as he know where he is going.

there are 3 type of sydneysiders.
    1. an hour is okay..

2. 30 minutes is too far.

3. built a wall on the latte line.

5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Important things is going where ?

When me and my wife stopped working in the City the location of our business became much more important.

If you work in an Industry in Western Sydney the benefit maybe to be as far away from the CBD as possible.

Many colleagues live in Camden and love it and work in the area.

Vijesh likes this.
  6. Vijesh

Vijesh Member

Thanks @Cia ,
    However, it is over my budget. The minimum i can found in that suburb is starting from $900K.

7. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

cbd sydney,

again i mention it before.. its all matter of context.. if u live/work in that area, good for you .

8. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Did you delete your original post? This appears as your first post in this thread?

9. Vijesh

Vijesh Member

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I am learning a lot from this forum about RE.

mukul m likes this.
  10. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Vijesh, look mate, 55 minute train ride or not, Leppington is a long way from the CBD. I have a 45 minute train commute and I can only tolerate it because for a long time I had a 90 minute commute and 45 feels a whole lot better.

Spending 2 hours a day just getting too and from work is exhausting. Doubly so if you have kids.

If you really *need* to buy a place all I can say is that the NSW taxpayer will thank you for your stamp duty contribution. There is a lot of merit in taking one of the earlier suggestions of renting in Parramatta. You can then invest the difference in shares, and in 6 years time I reckon you'll have at least a $150k-$200k nest egg to buy your "forever home".

The alternative is having little to no equity in Sydney, and little to no deposit for your next place.

spludgey and Vijesh like this.
  11. aving1001

aving1001 Well-Known Member

Prices in parramatta seems less inflated with additional supply of apartments. We live on a street with new apartment complex and i see lot of activity from sales perspective. People who bought 2 bed unit OTP a year back for 750k and now you can find same quoted for 629K.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

629k for a 2br apartment in Parramatta is still substantial $$$. I'd rather an older apartment in the suburb for less.

13. aving1001

What would you think would be reasonable price in your opinion. Issue with older apartment is that they generally have only one bathroom. I did see an older 3 bed apartment passed in for 520k. It had one bathroom and needed some work before moving in. And strata seemed high for apartment without even elevator.(925$) a quarter.

14. Gockie

I think $520k is cheap for a 3 bedder. As long as the building is ok, its on a quiet street and has no issues and the sinking fund has funds. Strata under $1k a quarter is ok imo.

15. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I agree under $1000 is good.
    Lift and pool is now $1500 norm

Lift pool and gym $1600+ pq

In the Sydney CBD double above

16. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I think apartment prices in these areas will plummet. I wouldn't buy an apartment anywhere in Sydney outside of the very inner city (specific areas) and even then, would advise being super cautious in the current environment

17. Gockie

I'm thinking the 3br is good value. Parramatta is a good spot, its a quick train ride into the city and I'm guessing the buyers of the new apartments are different buyers to buyers of existing apartments.

I think there won't be capital growth for years though, and yes, there could be further declines.
    I think 3 br apartments in a good spot like Parramatta at a good price are rare as hens teeth though. They are gold.

18. aving1001

it was 1k without any of the above No ( lift or pool or gym)

19. aving1001

I agree and i liked location. Not sure how to check sinking funds health, do we check with Strata management? The sellers were ready to sell at 520K during auction and now they have updated listing with 550K though.
    I cannot buy anything yet as i am awaiting my PR assessment.

20. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I think they have further to fall than that. There are far too many apartments around that way and insufficient demand. The same unit will be available in a year or two for much less once people realise that the boom is definitely over - there is less incentive to hold on during financial stress in the hope of more CG.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.