Open New Threads Only

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by wooster, 11th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wooster

wooster Well-Known Member

Is there a way to see all the new Threads rather than Recent posts or New posts?
    I find it not that useful to see some thread that is few months old, but because there is a post it resurface.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Unfortunately, there's not really a way to do that across the site.

You can view an individual forum topic sorted by start date - click on the Start Date header at the top of the thread list:

upload_2018-6-11_22-7-19.png

I'll try and find out whether there's a way of showing "New Threads" in the new version of the forum software.

wooster likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Turns out the upcoming version of the forum software can do this - kind of.

There are "widgets" we can add to various parts of the forum pages - which is a new way of generating things like sidebars (so "Members Online Now" in the sidebar will become a widget in the next version), but they can also be placed in other spots too.

The problem is that they are designed to show only a summary, rather than a full page (or indeed multiple pages) of search results like we get for a New Posts search.

It shouldn't be too difficult to build a "New Threads" search and have that available along side the "New Posts" search - I'll add it to my todo list.

luckyone and wooster like this.
  4. wooster

Thank you Simon, look forward to the V2!

5. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Another option is to "Watch Forum" for each of the main forums: Where to Buy, Property Market Economics, etc
    Open each sub-forum and click the watch forum button at the top right.
    Select "New Threads", and then tick Send Notifications via Email.
    You should get an email for each new thread. Not sure if it'll be in real time, though, or if you'll get a delayed email with a bunch of new threads.

6. Simon Hampel

If you watch a forum and elect to receive notifications via email, it will be pretty much real time (or close to it, based on how busy the outgoing mail sending process is).

FYI - I'm also working on updating the weekly digest emails which show what's new - currently it shows threads that have been recently updated, which tends to be dominated by a few older busy threads. I'm going to change it to instead show top new threads.

vudu likes this.
  7. wooster

Hi Simon

In the New V2 world for this "New Thread" function, is there a way to see which section the thread is coming from, e.g. I can identify it is from say commercial property section?
    So I can skip the new thread in the section that I am not interested straight away?

Cheers
    Stephen

8. Simon Hampel

Yes, the new posts widget shows the forum topic it was posted in.

I'm also planning on implementing the ability to "ignore" topics you aren't interested in, which will also help here.

wooster likes this.