QLD New Tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Dan Wood, 24th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yes but are you going to review their details now? Shouldn't you be doing that? And if not, then shouldn't you just be focusing on getting the agent to consult you next time?

Basically I'm trying to point you towards trying to be productive from this point in time, rather than wasting energy on things you can't change now.

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Well yes I would like to review it, but, there's no point the new tenant has signed a contract. I don't think I'm going to get out of it through agent negligence.. no one is going to kick the tenant out for something that is out of their control..

Yes the focus would be to be involved more in the process.

The idea of getting all your opinions was to determine if it's an issue, what ramifications, what steps we could take, what steps we should take. If we missed anything etc etc.

And the one RE section 4 conditions Michael provided is one I overlooked when checking the document, partly because it was empty, however it's still knowledge gained in the long run..

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

On a semi-related side note, if the Agent does want the autonomy to make decisions like that, here's how I've approached it with my clients as I do do this from time to time:

upload_2020-1-24_17-42-49.png

In practice, some of my landlords live overseas or work in defence etc - often I simply cannot get a hold of them in a timely manner nor do they either have access or readily reply to emails in a timely fashion, and I've often found time is always of importance when it comes to being successful - good prospective tenants aren't going to wait around many days or even weeks for you to get a 'yes' back.

significance, Archaon and Dan Wood like this.
  4. Dan Wood

Thanks Michael you're an asset to these forums :) especially for QLD knowledge!

TMNT, wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

There are PM's out there who feel like they are the expert and shouldn't bother you with the details of the incoming applicants. I personally vehemently disagree.... but there's no inherent laziness/malice in the practice. I just think people would be mad not to go over the incoming applicant with you, what if something goes wrong?! As a client, you then have no idea who they are, what risks were taken and what led to that situation! That's a recipe for a PM to lose business, and totally avoidable.

Also, @Dan Wood did you say that they left your house empty for EIGHT MONTHS after you purchased it? Or did I misread?

6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I believe you misread, there was an existing tenancy for 8months on purchase, they are moving out in 18days (give or take based on the date of comment) and the PM is putting a new tenant in very soon without consultation.

Dan Wood likes this.
  7. Dan Wood

Shouldn't assume a new client wants this from the get go if that's the case.

No none at all they're proactive.

Mad and a bit disappointed, this was my first new tenant, I was excited to go through the experience.

The risks could be push back onto them IMHO, I did not approve, I still have not approved the tenant...

That said, I would have picked this tenant out of a pile of 50 to be honest. That's not the point though.

The PM is dodging my question RE why I wasn't evolved in the process...

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I was going to suggest you ask them why you weren't consulted, but if they're dodging the question, maybe ask them directly over a phone conversation and set a process going forward for future vacancies.

Given this is your first letting, they really should walk you through each stage of the process. Sometimes you get an awesome tenant straight up, but I definitely discuss it with my clients so they understand the strengths (and weaknesses) of the application.

TMNT and Dan Wood like this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yep, as ive said before , pms arent magicians, they can only make a best call from info provided

Some good tenants become bad
    Bad tenants mostly stay bad

I had a young tenant part of a group application, first time renter, when asked what his pay was or to provide a payslip replied "i dunno how much i get paid"!

He seems to be going well now

10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

OK, so was he a bitcoin speculator, a rubbish removalist from the local paper with a Bunnings ABN, or a Nocturnal Nightclub Experience Enhancement Manager?

11. Dan Wood

por qué no los dos?

12. Dmarkw

Dmarkw Well-Known Member

Absolutely you should be consulted before they sign up a new tenant!

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Hell no, hes just a dishwasher

Just didnt understand the tenant process!

Ted Varrick likes this.
  14. Dan Wood

Sure, it's done now though so I can't back out, I can only ask why and get the process remedied for next time.

I don't see this particular tenant being troublesome at least with destroying the place .. if they do I could argue the fact they put someone in without my approval but I don't see myself getting far with that complaint.

With all that said, what would you all do in this situation?

15. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

If it was me, I would consider if this was a mistake, whether there's been an explanation and understanding that in future you want to be consulted. I would also look at the merits of this agent vs other agent (eg communication, service level, fees etc).

16. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Um, I suppose it could be each, both or all.

Assuming you are not appropriating an old taco ad, what's your point?