NSW New tenant asking to move the wardrobe in the house?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by [d4rk-fr3d], 20th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have a house that will be tenanted in the next month, the current tenant has not moved in yet, but they are asking me to move the old antique cupboard in the living room.

Since it is heavy, so I have told them to ask their removalist help to move it to the garage instead.

However, they are now getting back to me insisting that they will charge/deduct the weekly rental for the removalist time hired to do the extra works?

Do I just ignore their request or keep on asking them to remove it themselves?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Your post is very confusing. You own the house. Is it currently empty? Has the tenant signed a lease, if so when does it start? Is the cupboard currently in the living room? Is it yours? Why do they want it moved? Are you letting it furnished? Is it in the lease?

3. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

Yes, I rent out my house, but so far the tenant has not moved in yet.
    They started next month, and already sign the contract.

Yes, the cupboard is mine, and it was already part of the house from the previous owner since I bought the property a long time ago.

No, it is unfurnished.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A chain saw with a new chain will destroy that wardrobe in 2 minutes. No remnant will weigh more than a few kilos, tops.

I once had a tenant leave behind a home made dog kennel. I demolished it with a Stihl 16". Instant firewood.

A week later the old tenant rang me enquiring about the kennel as he didn't have enough room to take it on the day he left. I told him the new tenant must have flogged it. I then invited him to an upcoming BBQ.

Archaon, Stoffo, Perp and 2 others like this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If its not on the lease, then isn't it your responsibility to have the place empty of furniture for the tenants?

6. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

What if the tenant wasn't using removalists?

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

If you planned to leave it in the property, it should really be stated as an inclusion in the lease, or if it is perceived to be part of the property, the response is along the lines of "this is how the property comes - it was like this when you inspected it before you applied for it" etc. alas, compromise, do what is worth doing to make it work.

skater and kierank like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@darlinghurst can get a few of the boys from OS to help move the cupboard. All they want in return will be a rub down with coconut oil.

datto likes this.
  9. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

It would surprise me that after such a brand positive post for Stihl that they aren't wheeling you out Weekend At Bernie-style at every home and garden show for the next year, for a considerable fee.

Hopefully you cooked up a nice steak sambo for him (that caused no reminders of Woofy, as that could turn awkward)...

datto likes this.
  10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would put a match to it :eek:. Wardrobes are two bob a dozen.

Suggest you take it outside first :D.

Archaon, Propertunity and datto like this.
  11. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

What makes you think it's their responsibility to move your left overs?

I just moved into a rental and had to move a damn 6 seater outdoor setting because the landlord just .. left it here worn and torn and tatty looking. It wasn't in the contract and we just assume it was the previous tenants who would remove it before they left.

I moved it because I had a van at the time, if I didn't that thing would be out on the street if the LL didn't pick it up within a week or two.

As a tenant I shouldn't have to move your junk nor store it nor take any responsibility for it if it's not in the contract.

qak, Propertunity, luckyone and 2 others like this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I can't stress the reliability of a Stihl chainsaw any more. I've used the Ozito and Homelite brands from Bunnings and they're not quite up to it.

Stihl starts easy, cuts fine and lasts. OK Husqvarna is a good brand and they make good motorbikes as well.

There was no shortage of firewood at the barbie. Burnt beautifully. The blue paint was pungent and permeated through the steaks and snags. Watching people's eyes bulge as they ate was fascinating.

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Was it the old lead-based paint?

Michael Mitchell, datto and Dan Wood like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

From Mt Isa no less. :rolleyes: You can't overestimate the value of quality paint.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Luckily, no. Pretty sure it was mercury based.

Michael Mitchell and kierank like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

@datto - you're mad as a hatter :confused:

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not unusual for older houses in Melb that have no BIR to have the landlord put a freestanding wardrobe in. I think definitely gets better rent etc where people don't have to buy their own ~ unless it is really old and cruddy.

Should really be part of "fixture/fittings" in the initial condition report. Tenant should be renting "as is" and if they don't like it, should move at their own cost/effort, and replace it back in original condition (less normal wear and tear) and place when they vacate.

I did destroy one wardrobe that was very old and crappy and came with one of the IPs we bought. Didn't use a chainsaw as it had a dresser mirror built in, but my el-cheapo XU1 demolition saw did a great job, including cutting the glass :eek:

The Y-man

Archaon, Rugrat, JacM and 2 others like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^ amazing.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  19. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

It really comes down to whether the cupboard is functional and provides a value add to tenants or whether it has just been there for a long time and is a pain to remove. It sounds like the second option, so if you are renting out your house long term, then I would just put an ad on marketplace or gumtree to sell or give it away.

Try start on good terms with your new tenants, as this is a fairly minor issue. There may be bigger ones down the track and you want them to know you are practical and rational.

Sackie, Propertunity, wylie and 3 others like this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

All right I want to know what's in that wardrobe that makes it so important.

What could it possibly be?

I can only think of 3 things: skeletons, grow lights or a lingerie collection.

kierank and Michael Mitchell like this.