New tenancies

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Beano, 24th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Had some questions from a tenant looking at a new premise
    Thought i would share the answers
    1. The location is advertised for $35,000 + $9000 outgoings. By outgoings I assume they mean all utility bills (water, gas, electricity etc)? Is there opportunity to renegotiate that price? Say down to 29-30k?
    Yes to all of the above plus rates , land taxes , insurance , management fees ,repairs etc
    You need to get a listing of all the outgoings
    Yes if the place has been on the market for some time or there are lots of vacancies in that area then you certainly get a sweetheart deal ...maybe one month for each of the year of the lease plus

2. What length options do I face? Ideally as short as possible as I am unsure if the practice will be a success or not, is 3 years common?
    Yes same again as before if there are vacancies in the area you will be able to sign up a short lease with many ROR (Rights of renewals)

3. The shop will need a fitout, how can I ask about this? Firstly, is it my responsibility? Or can I expect the landlord to do some of the fitout?
    Yes same again as before if there are vacancies in the area you will obtain a free fitout ...you will need to sign a longer lease of course

4. Are there any other issues I need to be aware of? Obviously I will take the lease to a solicitor, but anything that you've come across that might help me? I've also heard that there have been a few tenants come and go, is this an issue? Or does that just mean the tenants went out of business?
    You need to see if
    1:If all the services are onsite
    2: Council have approve the building for your needs
    3: Sufficient carparking
    4: Area to expand/reduce in the future dependent on business
    Have you looked elsewhere to see what the rentals are like ?
    If not ring around and visit as many premises with agent as possible
    Get a real feel for the rentals and what the outgoings are before you make an offer

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2017
    Chabs and Gockie like this.
  2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

It may also be worth getting a leasewise report. They have been advertising these on the radio lately. Not sure if any good, but imagine you could used one to negotiate the lease down.

Beano likes this.