New strategies post APRA

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Ian87, 9th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

@BPhil @Shogun @Ian87

What are your game plans moving forward?
    Strategies, thoughts on markets, things to avoid?

2. BPhil

BPhil Well-Known Member

Yes 35 years away, but still supports retiring early as you can spend your other funds on fast cars and fast women (or men) as you have this massive nest egg waiting for the next 35 years.

Super 25k pa contributions are pre-tax, you save your MTR - 15%.

Re: panicking etc, I believe this is because most people will not reach those figures as they make no top-up contributions. Median salary 80k times 9.5% is 7.6k pa, less than a third of what could be put in. Hence the need to educate people, but you can see it's like pushing **** uphill as I cant even convince you who cares about investing!!

Funny comment that you make about leaving investing to go focus on super, super is investing too... usually active, can be passive, whatever floats. And as Rolf said, super is just one part of an overall strategy (albeit an incredibly low effort high reward part for lazy people like me).

2FAST4U, NHG, Phantom and 2 others like this.
  3. BPhil

BPhil Well-Known Member

Not keen on Aus property atm. US equities overvalued. Looking at Aus equities to debt recycle so in a good position to borrow when the next Melb boom comes around (don't want to buy sight unseen in Bris or whatever, and too lazy to fly around doing groundwork).

And of course giving future me a big hand by investing into low fee diversified super, with all share allocation (not silly default option with 25-30% cash).

NHG likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I salary sacrifice a bit from each pay into super. It doesn't look like a lot but with compounding over decades it adds up.

I also actively invest in resi property for cashflow and capital gains and forced equity.

I agree it's not one or the other (property or super). Why not both?

BPhil likes this.
  5. MarkJ

MarkJ Member

The cashflow from residential real estate is far too low a return to be a good retirement strategy - The holding costs are far too high. Australian shares paying high yield fully franked dividends is far more effective, stable with higher returns.

2FAST4U, BPhil and Beano like this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Agreed on the returns, I will add liquidity as well

Geared acquisition risk is the toughie with Margins.

Many of us have short memories and were quite find fond of our double geared property thence Margin lends with barely a sheet of paper for margin between them...... and the GFC came :(

Storm financial et al provided some lessons that will one day soon need to be relearnt.

Im not against Oz equities, far from it, they should form a PART of a diversified strategy.

Most Australians have enough challenge to over come the financial apathy and inertia to change phone and power providers, let along mortgages and getting educated on share markets....................... et al

While property is about as popular as an off prawn this week, its still a comfortable stepping stone for many

ta
    rolf

wilso8948 likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

There has never been MORE information and education out there as now, much of it free..........., easily available,

The tools arent of any use if people can not be helped to use them.

There is one problem, i feel

The huge amount of Fluff and noise, the regulatory costs and impact of providing complying financial advice has most people simply pulling up the blanket over the heads and saying.......... its just too much.

How is it possible that, today I can talk with a couple about their goals dreams and aspirations for their family with their eyes as big as plates , and 3 days later they are back in " witness protection" consumed by the STUFF that needs to be done every day, and that STUFF is accelerating at a huge rate.

We just need to look at what we dole out ( yes I use that word on purpose) as financial education at a year 11 and year 12 level.........

There is a better way Im sure, just dont know what or how - YET

ta
    rolf

BPhil likes this.
  8. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

Salary sacrificing 25k to super is important - got me my decent super balance

Jane Ridder likes this.
  9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

No they haven't, they have gotten worse. My accountant finished last years financials on Friday and immediately sent them to my broker. I received his eagerly awaited response with hopes of being able to easily fund next settlement. Just this afternoon, I had an in depth discussion with him He said no way the banks may ask for more principal to paid down on the loans I have ! Luckily I suspected this would be the case, and I already paid down 200k since July with carried forward income and taking some profits on small cap tech stocks after they got way over priced after the last reporting season . He said there is still a real possibility banks could call in loans. So now I will proceed to plan B, which is using some funds in my superfund to buy one or two property of myself, which will pay most of my debt and part fund my latest purchase which I can settle next month for a 15% discount or in 2years with "rent to buy" finance. The broker said it was now impossible to get finance in a SMSF. The screws are really getting tightened.

10. Rolf Latham

Either

Your personal circumstances are pretty poor and desperate on a number of fronts, or your broker knows something I dont....................

ta
    rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  11. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

So I keep getting told.

Have had several known brokers say I couldn't refinance for the last 6 months. CBA in house broker told me the same.

Last week, just settled on moving my loans from Liberty to CBA, and pulled out an extra $50k. Nothing had changed in my personal circumstances. I had paid down $0 in loans that entire time. Sounds like dumb luck

It had become a mission to go back to Tier 1. So many phone calls.

12. icic

icic Well-Known Member

all the big banks have stopped SMSF lending. We were lucky to get ours sorted just in time. I can see why, too much work and risk for too little return.

13. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

There is more than one way to skin a cat. You can convert you super to accessible cash, especially if you own property. You can use funds in your SMSF to buy a property from yourself, your SMSF holds the property and you can get the capitals gains tax free, while you can pay off debt, buy shares outside super that you can liquidate when cash is needed or at an opportune time, buy property and leverage into shares. You might need to find a good accountant/business consultant . For some-one who claims to earn a high income I don't know why you wouldn't take advantage of the generous positive benefits of super, and dwell on non-existent negatives You seem unaware taxation issues a good adviser should inform you off. You can lease a property or business in a SMSF to yourself and still earn income from it, outside off the SMSF.

14. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Apparently it makes no difference anyway as to wether you borrow in a SMSF or not, your calculated serviceability is the same. It is just robbing Peter to pay Paul. What I am hoping to do in the coming months is swap every thing around, put some of my property in super and take my shares out. I had always believed in buying property outside ( for leverage ) and buying the more risky shares in super. It will wipe out nearly all my debt or have funds available to buy a property or 2 if I must buy.

15. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

This is correct. I am also as per previous advice, looking further into super.

In regards to my previous comment on refinancing, at this point in time, you'll get better results dealing directly with the bank than a broker. Just how the market is at the moment. I went through about 3 or 4 CBA brokers before finding one that could do my refinance. That advice was given to me by an independent mortgage broker friend.

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2018
  16. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Agree, as I've stated previously, it's best to give yourself a full body financial work-out, not just do bicep curls.

As for investing extra in super:

Income
    $100k av household income (higher than median of $80k which is skewed upwards by high income earners)
    $73k post tax. Australia Tax | 2018/19 Salary example for $100000

Minus
    $19k IO mortgage repayments (based on $400k average mortgage debt on our current super low interest rates) What's the Average Australian Home Loan Size?
    $33k (basic living expenses based on family of 4 - removed mortgage repayment as it seemed OTT) Living Expense Calculator | How Do Banks Calculate It?

Leaves you with $21k/yr saving.
    Keep in mind this is for BASIC cost of living. So:
    NO repayments on your PPOR.
    NO overseas travel.
    NO contingency for major events such as the need to replace your car, or have a major roof repair, or medical procedure.
    Pray interest stay low, cost of living doesn't go up, don't get sick, break down, divorce, have a condom break, or loose job.

Seems tight.
    I'm too low risk to be about that life.

Alternative is stay single, have no kids, don't buy PPOR, get super at 67, move to Pattaya, get 2 girlfriends (or boyfriends, or both).

You're strategy has legs by the sounds of it, I don't deny that. It's just not for the average income earner, and from a young age when you're saving for a wedding, deposit on a home, doesn't sound feasible that you'll start depositing additional funds until a much later date.

Once again, none of these strategies work for the average income earner. You NEED to work on step 1 to get ahead:

1. increase income.
    2. reduce debt.
    3. save.
    4. invest.

I have taken on board your comments on learning more about super. Had a good chat to my dad about it. I'm clearly lacking knowledge in this area and am grateful for the tips.

I also agree you should live the good life now as well. At 35% profit on turn-over, which is a 200% cash-on-cash return from my business, I can invest in IPs, top up super, and have fast cars and fast women (though I'd rather leave those days behind me), and boy do I love my international travel (going on my 3rd trip this year in Dec). Can't do that with the example provided above.

In the words of the little taco girl:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2018
    TomC likes this.
  17. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Your borrowing capacity in SMSF in dictated by how much super you can contribute on a yearly bases, atleast that was our case anyway.

18. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Another great thing about super is that it’s protected from most trying to take your cash.

19. Rolf Latham

Including ourselves

and that is probably a good thing for many of us :)

ta
    rolf

NHG, icic and Barny like this.
  20. Rolf Latham

we have found the opposite

Many people use SMSF resi property to scratch their debt itch :)

Servicing is typically standalone and is based on SGC contribs and rent only.

Where members make contribs via sal sac, then yep, the whole circus must be serviceability tested to ensure those voluntary things can continue

That why servicing in SMSF is pretty yuk for most.

ta
    rolf

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.