New Property New Renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by rhinsor, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Now talk about luck, the boards in the kitchen/dining are sitting on little boards to make them 'float' came off in 5 minutes and were hiding some special wallpaper.

I've added a photo of the living room window frame to show to layer of dirt.

Found out the shower doesn't turn on and is leaking somewhere so thats a small thing i need to fix.

Attached Files:

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Haha - that wallpaper is very special! Had me giggling that people would choose that on purpose to put on their walls! :eek:

Demolition is so much fun - pulling up that floor is making me a bit jealous. Although on a side note did you end up getting that tested for asbestos?

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Looks like carpets been laid straight over fresh boards.

Personally I'd leave the trees and all outside for now, trim low branches if dangerous, clean up/remove any exterior rubbish etc, but your main goal/time/focus right now is getting inside done so you can get a tenant in (income) with acknowledgment that you'll be around often until works outside are complete.

Simply put... get inside done then worry about outside.

4. rhinsor

Haven't got anything tested yet, I will do it this week. I've know most of the house is gyprock as it is written on the back. Good feeling the bathroom and kitchen are asbestos.
    The lino came up easy without breaking it and I've put it to one side in case it is.

Yep exactly what Im going to do, inside first to make it look nice.

I think I'll leave the tree's, summer time it'll be a bonus for shade but I need to clean out the gutters as they have weeds growing in them.

The kitchen is pretty much out just need someone to disconnect the gas oven.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2015
  5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Being an older place there's possibly a tap on the wall behind the oven, turn it off, detach the hose, remove oven.
    If it's a newer install the chrome outlet from the wall has a valve, when you turn the fitting on the hose (from the oven) and remove it from the wall outlet the valve will close, remove oven.

However If you don't need gas for anything else at the moment (i.e. hot water) turn it off at mains (outside) until works are complete.

6. rhinsor

Caught the shower tap taking a wizz.

Getting some plumbing fixed today and finished saturday.

Getting asbestos testing sample taken today. Should know by tomorrow morning.
    I know most the house is gyprock now as it has it stamped on the back.

Attached Files:

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Looking good! Kitchen looks done ;)

Yeah trees later, get the pm to take care of it and claim the costs. Get the council paperwork underway if needed though

8. rhinsor

I'm going to start lining up the kitchen tomorrow or Friday.
    All the plumbing has been cut and isolated to get it all ready to set up.
    Having trouble with the wallpaper, I'm tempted to just put new wallpaper over it.

9. rhinsor

Got the asbestos results. $200 total for callout, taking 4 samples and next day results. Not bad.
    The lino and sleep out are negative for asbestos. The bathroom, some sheets in kitchen/dining & shed are positive for asbestos.

I'm going the retile the bathroom and put a floor standing vanity while using all the existing holes in the walls. I'm lucky the hallway wall behind the shower taps was gyprock otherwise I would of had to get a professional in to remove it.

It has taken me half a day to remove wallpaper from one room. The gyprock wall behind has hundreds of little holes from nails & screws. I'm deciding weather to wallpaper it again or spend the time plastering over it.

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd consider just getting a gyprocker in to do it - they're really cheap apparently and you won't waste too much of your time budget.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd prob get a quote on this too. If the wall paper is well stuck and the board behind it covered in holes from the layer that was on top of the wall paper then it might be easiest to plasterboard over the wall paper.

12. bob shovel

With plastering you'll have to take off the window and door arcs plus skirting and remove the cornice. Unless you do it yourself dodgy,but having done gyprocking it won't be simple sheeting and set a joint or two.

Why not the wood panelling or cheap floor boards straight over (or similar) ? then paint the same wall colour through out? It will demand more rent for the shabby chic look
    Plus you can hide the joints easier with different materials... Silicone!

13. bob shovel

Here you go
    Screenshot_2015-09-25-07-20-41.jpg

There may be cheaper out other types out there.
    All you need to do is cut it down 100mm or so and it can butt in under the existing cornice and on top of the skirting.

14. Westminster

Good idea - maybe @rhinsor should have left the lovely Swedish Sauna chic wall lining up and just painted it :)

15. rhinsor

Haha. Im going to bunnings now to hire a wallpaper steamer and see how it goes. $30 24hr

I might actually do new timber panneling in the kitchen/dining. The stuff had to be removed due to chips and living creatures behind it.

Wallpaper seems pretty cheap at some places. Masters have $10-20 for 10 meters rolls.

I will see how quick the wall paper comes off and some of it is already peeling and not good for painting over.

16. rhinsor

So the wallpaper sucked but managed to get three rooms and a loungeroom done in 2 days.
    The steamer helped lots.

Most of the plumbing is done. Part of the kitchen has been done. Next week I will be plastering and painting the ceilings. Still waiting for settlement as the owners cant find paperwork.

Attached Files:

Heinz57 likes this.
  17. Westminster

Looks like the wallpaper steamer really helped.

I hope they find their paperwork or they'll be getting to keep a brand new house!

18. Sapph

Sapph Member

Enjoying following your process Rhinsor, good luck with it all :)

19. rhinsor

Well I'm back at work for the next 4 days. I'm pretty sore.
    Removing the wallpaper made the house so much more brighter.
    I don't know what paint I'm going to use yet but I would like something that will hide the imperfections.

The biggest costs will be:
    Plumbing - About $1000
    Electrical - About $700
    Sanding - No sure but I'm tempted to do it myself to reduce costs.
    Aircon - Depending on what is wrong with it.

20. bob shovel

Give the sanding a go yourself. The end goal is for the place to be knocked down a few minor imperfections aren't going to hurt. It's tough going but save heaps