New Property New Renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by rhinsor, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'm not to familiar with them but they can also be at ground level. Had one at a place in Roma, Qld we stayed at. it was free standing out the back, big ugly hunk of junk but I've seen them over here (west) on the roof -usually covered in plastic! I guess it's cheaper to buy a tarp than remove

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

HaHa, had a feeling you'd pipe in
    Not sure on all States/outlets but hire stuff from Kennards or similar that aren't open on Sundays, hire Saturday and get Sunday free, return Monday
    Prob aware but this will (should) be 50/50 cost between yourself & neighbors.
    These working (as well as other items, oven etc) would usually be part of the O&A (an appendix) unless you offered "as is"
    Can't see it on their website but I'm considering these for $49 without remote (as they'll get lost) at the moment for my reno - https://www.masters.com.au/product/...ling-fan-with-oyster-light-and-remote-control
    Has to be reasonable surface for vinyl, if it's all glued down remove what you can and hopefully get away with self leveler. I recommend loose lay vinyl slats so you can easily replace a single damaged one from the middle of the floor, don't have to rip half the floor up to get to it. Best price I've found so far is $33sqm for 5mm from http://levande.com/stockists/

3. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Getting rid of that tree out the front and a bit of tidy up/landscaping will make a HUGE difference.

Floor looks pretty good, not my specialty so not sure what you could do to keep it simple/affordable, hopefully someone with knowledge/experience will chime-in.

LOL the murial, throw some primer over that before painting, being such a big plain wall perhaps do some simple design on it like I did here https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/paint-over-wallpaper.3188/#post-49804

Gotta bit of gardening to do

5. rhinsor

So next on the list is to ask if I can start doing garden maintenance before settlement, the owner is very nice so I don't think I'll have a problem.

Also asbestos testing. I need to get about 6 samples around the property.

Attached Files:

6. rhinsor

If I wasn't going to demolish it I would convert half the laundry and toilet into another bathroom.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Get the electrical situation looked into - it should all be working before handover - well that's what I put in my Offers.

8. rhinsor

It was as is in the contract, electrical stuff doesnt cost to much for a simple house

9. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Whats wrong with lime green bench tops and wood panels? :D

As for the trees, the last time I did DIY tree removal I used a 4x4 with a winch and beer holder. Worked great. The old lady neighbor at the rear was very grateful to not have them overhanging her fence anymore but I think Ronny the side neighbor liked the way his fence and shed were before we started the tree removal. But I can't be sure.

10. Westminster

Fair enough. As is and you knew it is AOK.

11. rhinsor

I got a 4x4 Hilux so that might work, getting lots of cheap ideas. One of the branches goes over the neighbors driveway so they'll probably be happy its getting removed.

12. rhinsor

Added layout of the property.
    The owners have been gardening to my surprise. Saves me time.

Attached Files:

13. sammmeee

sammmeee Well-Known Member

doh I had my eye on that kitchen...in Westminster/balga.

14. rhinsor

haha I was close not to buying it as settlement was to far away but it looked really good.

Settlement is set for Friday

15. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

Looking good mate I'm interested to see how it scrubs up I own one just around the corner there in Denston Way.

16. rhinsor

Is it a PPOR or IP?

Settlement has been delayed for a week as the owner can't find some paperwork. Kinda knew this would happen.

Anyways I'm getting the keys in a few hours and I'm going to go have a look and start taking some stuff over.

I've been told the owners have been cleaning the place up a lot.

17. Westminster

I hope everything goes well and their tidy up saves you some work

18. rhinsor

Well I went today, they cleaned up a lot, mainly the front yard and the side, still a lot to do though.

Good new is it has evaporate aircon, bad news is it starts up but doesn't blow air.

Also more good news is the flooring under some of the carpet and lino looks like it has never been stepped on so that is a bonus.

The property has an alarm with sensors on all windows so hopefully they know what the password is and it works when it's turned on. Should help it get rented.

I going to get some quote this week for the front trees but I got a feeling it will cost at least $2000.
    I'm thinking I should just trim some of the branches and leave it alone.

Attached Files:

19. Westminster

IMHO I'd just leave the trees. They at least add some interest to the yard and will offer some shade to the house.

The floorboards look great. That should make your life easier - would suck to have heaps of glue etc from carpet and lino.

20. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

I had two trees like that and 3 palms removed for 1100inc. And that was only because they were over 2 other properties and fences so a slower process to cut and lower bit by bit. Pm me if you want details of who done mine. But at least trim them.

Attached Files: