NSW New PM doesn't want to release tenant application

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by pichoo, 21st Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pichoo

pichoo Member

We just got our first IP built and ready. We assigned a PM. This is a first time I deal with PM directly. I've met and talked to the PM and so far I'm happy with everything. PM seems to be fast and decisive.

A good potential tenant had submitted an application. However PM doesn't want to release tenant application (including rental history, salary slips, and reference) and when I asked.

PM advised me that Tenancy Data base check completed, all details recorded, payslips, past rental history and great reference are all provided.

Any advice? What proof do I have that all those things are checked and provided by the tenant to the PM? As a landlord, don't we have the right to have a copy of tenant application, rental history, salary slips, and reference?

TheRons, Michael Mitchell and Perp like this.
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Heya, sounds like they just became your old PM! ha. Seriously, the Agent WORKS for the LESSOR, you can't make this **** up. Fancy the Agent keeping stuff from the Lessor, unbelievable. (wish I could use emoji's in here)

upload_2021-4-21_21-10-29.png upload_2021-4-21_21-10-30.png

craigc, jared7825, Stoffo and 6 others like this.
  3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Speak to your PM and find out why they won't release the application to you. There are quite a lot of PMs out there that rightly or wrongly believe its a breach of the tenant's privacy. Alternatively they might have taken liberties with the information they have given you.

I very rarely get asked to forward the actual application but I'm happy to do so when requested or when I feel that it will help an application to get approved.

It also comes down to trust in your PM and how confident you are in their abilities.

4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

A PM doesn't need to send you details of all applicants, however, if they are putting one forward (ie. recommending) you are definitely entitled to the details of your potential tenant.

There are some good PMs, but soooo many bad PMs out there that the general consensus from both landlords and tenants is that overall they are pretty ordinary...............

TheRons, luckyone, Perp and 1 other person like this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

an agent that doesn't understand agency law!

craigc, Propin, Ryan23 and 2 others like this.
  6. Barcelona

Barcelona Well-Known Member

If you trust your pm why do you need to see the application? If I were a rental applicant, I would not want anyone but the pm seeing my private details.

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Why?

The Agent is simply an extension of the Lessor...

ff3, jared7825 and Perp like this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yep. Under agency law it is the agent acting as if they were 'you'!
    What they see you see.
    Similar to an attorney in a way.

ff3, jared7825, luckyone and 3 others like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're the owner's tenant not the agent's tenant.

TheRons, craigc, jared7825 and 4 others like this.
  10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Good point except you can remove the word "rightly".

craigc, ff3, jared7825 and 4 others like this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Thats's true as it would otherwise make me wrong, but I think I was trying say that those PMs believe they are doing the right thing.

luckyone and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. pichoo

pichoo Member

I have no interest in seeing those documents if I don't have to honestly. This is a potential tenant that the PM recommended. However as this is the first time I deal with the PM, I feel that I'm obligated to see everything myself rather than 100% trusting someone who I've never worked with before.

It's also true what Michael said. The agent works for us the lessor.

I'll give the pm the benefit of the doubt and will insist on seeing the documents.

Is there a link from fair works or any website that stated the lessor has the right to see tenant application and all the other details?

TheRons and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you didn't have an agent, you see the application. The agent is an extension of yourself, fair work has nothing to do with this.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I'd just explain to the agent that you're not trying to be overbearing or distrustful, but that you have had a really poor experience previously- and specifically with their predecessor lying about the applicants. It's not a personal insult to the new agent implying that you don't 'trust' them, you've just entered a new business relationship with these people and have every right to feel comfortable.

TheRons, craigc and Michael Mitchell like this.
  15. Barcelona

Why bother having a pm if you're going to question his/her advice on potential tenants? If you distrust your pm, maybe find one you can trust.

I've never asked to see an application because that's what I pay the pm for: their experience, their knowledge.

Though if you've been burnt previously, I think Tom Rivera gives good advice.

D.T. likes this.
  16. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

Because it is the OPs First IP. They will probably feel the need to see what eh agent is seeing so they can build that trust level going forward.
    I have been screwed bay a bad agent because I trusted without question. With my new agent we started with full disclosure and have now moved to a more trusting environment where I only ask for the details if and alarm bell rings.

It also helps the agent understand where the owners mindset is by answer questions and guiding through process.

TheRons, luckyone, AxeLy and 3 others like this.
  17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Trust but verify.

But really, it is not an issue of trust, its an issue of due dilligence.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

18. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

You may not 'want' it, but the landlord is legally entitled to see it.

19. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Yeah... I love those renters who took the protection they have by the act so far that they truly believe they they can do whatever they want and landlords are just someone who gets the money.
    Sometimes the sense of entitlement of mind boggling.

(And then they come and say that landlords feeling entitled, which is, quite frankly, the case. They put their money into the property - they are entitled...)

Michael Mitchell, B7B and Perp like this.
  20. Barcelona

Of course the landlord is legally entitled; I didn't say he wasn't.

One would assume you've engaged a property manager after sifting out many others and you've decided that your chosen pm is proficient and professional. Otherwise you may as well self-manage.

Just mho but I believe you need to start off with a level of trust in their ability. To do otherwise, to second-guess them at every turn (and second-guessing from the get go may imply you will continue to second guess), turns you into a difficult landlord.

Most pms are professional. I would never ask to see an application because that's what THEY are being paid to do--sort the wheat from the chaff. If, however, it turns out they've chosen a dud (and time will tell) disengage them. In the meantime, a certain level of trust is required. Let them do their job. Don't micromanage.

Certainly if you've had a terrible experience, you could explain that to the pm and I'm sure they'd be understanding.

Imho managing properties can be a horrible job. I think professionalism, good will and trust works both ways. Just mho.

Michael Mitchell and balwoges like this.