New NSW development controls with relaxed requirements

Discussion in 'Development' started by scientist, 2nd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

So what's the actual end result of all the recent hooplah about Sydney narrow blocks suddenly being able to be development sites? I'm referring to the subject of this article - Own a home on a narrow block? It may have just gone up in value by $240,000

Is 1) it already in place, or 2) 100% confirmed with a 100% solid start date, or 3) contingent on next election results or something else, or what? Sorry I can read, just after some confirmation.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Was withdrawn.

3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

This was for two local councils if I recall. Is this now across the board?

Paul@PAS likes this.
  4. scientist

So those two councils - ryde and bankstown-canterbury - did they reject the entire state code or just parts of it? where can I read more on this?

5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

They may have been granted a 2 year reprieve, not sure long term.

6. Charch

Charch Well-Known Member

I think Ryde will allow dual occs but not terraces or manor homes.

7. Paul@PAS

NSW withdrew the proposed change. State law

qak likes this.
  8. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Really, Wow! I didn't read about it. Do you have a link you can send?

On the NSW Planning website it still says that the new code will commence from 6 July 2018.

Medium Density Housing

9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

10. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

I have read and heard all sorts of opinions from various articles but there was an official update on the Planning NSW website several weeks ago that I haven't been able to find again.

Temporary deferral for the Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code for City of Ryde, City of Canterbury Bankstown, Northern Beaches Council and Lane Cove Council

Following advice from the Greater Sydney Commission, the City of Ryde, City of Canterbury Bankstown, Northern Beaches Council and Lane Cove Council have been granted a temporary deferral from the Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code until 1 July 2019.This temporary deferral only applies to residential flat buildings (including manor houses) and multi dwelling housing (including terraces) in the R2 zone, where they are permitted under the Council’s Local Environmental Plan (LEP). The provisions of the Code will continue to apply to dual occupancies in the R2 zone.

This temporary deferral will allow these councils time to update their LEPs to meet the strategic intent of their area.

Essentially, 4 councils have been granted deferral for any residential flat buildings and multi dwelling until 1 July 2019 however the new dual occupancy code will apply as originally intended.

I haven't heard anything on the code being withdrawn altogether so would be keen to hear more if that is true

Last edited: 12th Jun, 2018
    Morgs likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

More councils are seeking extensions I understand and thats what the media referred to when discussing how wont apply to some councils (incl the 4 nominated for deferral) Hills Council are also worried it could see uncontrolled development of manor house and terraces.

Many councils have applied to rewrite their LEP for these new terms which would prevail and limit SOME types of dev permitted under the controlled med-density housing development rules that are to be relaxed. Many councils dont want the blanket rule to allow terraces and manor houses. I got the impression dual occs was less a issue for the three land types.

Typical NSW Govt.

12. scientist

NIMBYism at work.

13. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

14. Charch

Charch Well-Known Member

The City of Ryde has commenced proceedings in the Land and Environment Court against the State Government’s Medium Density Housing Code.

Mayor Jerome Laxale - Labor

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2018