Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BenWa, 16th Oct, 2016.

1. BenWa

BenWa Member

Hi all,

I've been reading property chat for a while but have some questions so I thought I'd join :)

I'm 40yo and recently bought three Townhouses in Brisbane. I'm looking to buy my fourth before too long.

Cheers,

Ben

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Welcome Ben.

Why all townhouses? What is your rational?

Elives likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

4. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome Ben!

5. BenWa

BenWa Member

Actually, I went through a buyers agent who recommended the three because they were in areas likely to have capital growth and had a gross yield of 7-8%. The buyers agent said that at the lower price point (all are $200-250K) there's likely to be more capital growth than properties at a higher price point. Now that I've got a bit more knowledge, I think the investments are ok but I think I could've done better. I did a calculation of gross yield minus strata for each and so that figure is about 6% for each, so the yields aren't as impressive as I first through, plus it would've been possible to get a freestanding house for not that much more in those areas (1 the Logan area and 2 in Ipswitch) and I think houses have even better growth prospects. So my plan for my next investment is to go for a free standing house.

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Australia Wide Business Member

Welcome @BenWa

Sounds like you have done ok so far and now you have the knowledge source to improve on what you have already accompished plus your a spring chicken at 40 ;)

BenWa likes this.
  7. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hi @BenWa welcome to the forums! I note you are based in Sydney. You should definitely come check out the Sydney CBD meetup. It is a great way to network and meet like-minded ppl
    NSW - Sydney CBD Meetup No. 3 - Thursday 3rd November

larrylarry likes this.
  8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Welcome @BenWa @Taku Ekanayake is invested in QLD so good opportunity to swap notes. @Simon L and many others are invested in Brisbane.

From what I know you're quite right that you can get free-standing houses at not much more but if you're confident in the townhouses then hold and monitor the growth. Good thing about free-standing houses is that you can add value to it. Very little opportunity to do that with townhouses like add a room, deck etc.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Welcome Ben :)

Cheers

Jamie