House & Home New mattress recommendations?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jacque, 17th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

Still got the sleeping duck and think it's great, having young kids the sides get a good workout which was a big factor but I also get booted out of it quite often and don't get to enjoy it as much as I want

Personally I preferred the Ozmattress but it came at a price

Ozmattress also let me try there's for 100 days and return it with full refund

Sleeping duck will also do 100 days but if you call up at 100 days or just before and ask to extend they will, found them very flexible

2. FayJ

FayJ New Member

Awesome, @andrew_t thanks for getting back to me, good to know it's still performing well after a time.

I think I will go a Sleeping Duck, I spoke to them and they seem super friendly. I didn't realise you can also swap the firmness inside the mattress.

The other guys didn't even pick up the phone :(

I read as well that Ozmattress will only exchange as well, not refund. See how I go!

3. Beyond Wealth

Beyond Wealth Well-Known Member

@FayJ I ended up returning my koala mattress within the return period, it was well put together, very comfy and a reasonable price but just too soft for me. I bought a firm mattress from Freedom and so far so good!

4. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

No probs, everyone is different so hopefully it works out for you

Ozmattress did refund me the full purchase price within the return period. This may have now changed though since i tried it.

5. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

I am one month into having my Koala mattress and I love it. I purchased only because of the lengthy trial period and thought I have nothing to lose as I can always send back. I will definitely be keeping it

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

They also got a great write up in Choice, which conducted it's first mattress review in 30 years. See link here Mattress sale price investigation - inner spring vs bed in a box

Propertyman likes this.
  7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Go for something made from 100% organic wool. I love mine.
    No pesticides, no antibacterial agents, and no fire ******ants applied, and no VOCs from foam.
    I bought a new, good quality, unnatural mattress and it made me very sick from the fumes. It was brutal. Why buy something you have to 'degas'?

8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

What do they do with those returned mattress?

9. FayJ

FayJ New Member

Interesting article @Jacque , i didn't come across that in my research.

Seems pretty limited with who they chose to review though? I can't seem to see the actual score as well, it's locked or something.

What do people think of foam vs hybrid / innerspring mattresses?

10. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Choice article is good. Choice customer reviews seem good except for a few that had owned the bed for a while. They often claim it sags after 6 months.

Has anyone owned one for an extended time that can comment.

11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about Koala mattresses as well

12. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Me and my partner both loathe soft mattresses. Every time we stay in a swanky hotel, our immediate thought is how luxurious the mattress is, but always wake up with a screwed back.
    When she moved in with me, she left her cheapo soft mattress behind and adopted my AH Beard King Koil Chiro Entice Firm, and never looked back.

I shopped around for the firmest mattress I could find. If it had the little one-inch pillow topper on it, I didn't even give it a second glance. I knew it was going to be a wrong choice.
    We both now have the best sleeps ever on it.

But I agree, everyone is different. In my case, I can't imagine anything worse than the foam offerings now.
    My physio suggested that when shopping and testing the mattress, to get your mate to draw a line down your spine (if you're a side sleeper) and see that the spine is straight. A lot of really plush mattresses will put a concave dip in your spine, so be careful.

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree with the firm mattress thing. Soft mattresses hurt my back.

Years ago I went to a mattress shop and asked for a firm mattress. They put me on something that was plush and soft. I asked for something firmer. Still soft. They ended up with one option, a mattress they call "the brick" and only sell to motels, according to them. It seemed perfect to me. I tend to have lower back problems and it has been good for my back. I have let guests use the bed and they have all loved it.

Edit: I tracked down the make and model: Simmons Maxipedic Medi-Back.

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2018

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia