House & Home New mattress - Latex vs springs

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 4th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We have been told horror stories of latex mattresses being very hot and customers returning them because they weren't happy. Is that still the case? I would expect new technologies to have rectified any issues from when they were first developed.

I also want to know if the latex would potentially affect anyone who is susceptible to allergies. I assume there is a lot of other material between the latex and the human.

Please let me know your thoughts. :)

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I can't answer the technical stuff, but we looked at new mattresses in May. Went to bed stores and were horrified at the prices. Ended up at Ikea where we've bought mattresses before and been very happy.

We ended up paying about $500(ish) and got a rolled up one because we were sick of lying on beds and the rolled up one we tried (it wasn't rolled up when we tried it :D) was very comfy.

I learned that I like a firm mattress edge, not a spongy edge. I like to sit on our (low) bed to put on my shoes and don't like feeling like I'm sitting on a marshmallow.

We are very happy with our rolled up bed. It is very comfy. I do recall the Ikea lady saying one of their other mattresses was slightly cooler (and I do get a bit hot, being of a certain age), but this was a close second, in stock for us to take it home that very day, and we went with it. Happy so far...

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We prefer a firm mattress.

Tried a latex one once but it was too soft for us. Ever since we have stuck with inner spring mattresses on a slat base.
    Marg

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve had a traditional natural latex mattress for 20 years and love it.

Real latex is a natural product made from extracting rubber from trees and it ‘breathes’. Because it is natural, allergies should be minimised as there isn’t ‘off gassing’.

Memory foam is not natural and doesn’t breath. Some people may confuse natural latex with memory foam or synthetic ‘latex’ and that may be where the reported heat issues come from.

I suspect natural, firm latex wouldn’t compress much if at all - unless it is the type with a lot of small holes in the structure used to create a softer mattress.

My natural latex mattress is very firm (no pinholes) so I bought an ikea mattress pad to put on top (which also has natural latex inside - but a softer latex).

Latex mattresses are heavy and a bit floppy, so harder to turn. Some of the ‘latex’ mattresses in shops seem to,have a lot of other material on top, which makes me wonder about the effectiveness of the latex. Mine is just straight latex in a mattress cover.

Natural latex can also be pricey.

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2018
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We are home again . I asked the lady in the store the above question so she showed us the side views of both their types of mattresses. We bought one with Pocket Springs which is supposed to allow extra air flow. It gets delivered on Thursday - cant wait. Last time was 22 years ago.

I remember reading here a while ago about the rolled up mattresses that you buy online, but there is no way I would buy one without trying it first. I am hyperactive, so going through the hassle of sending something back if it isn't suitable and repeating the process just doesn't work for me.

6. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Many people confuse latex with memory foam. Memory foam does get very hot. We had a mattress with a memory foam top. It was very comfortable but it got very hot. It molds to your body and retains the heat. I got rid of it.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd just be happy to get "some sleep" :oops: .......
    Teething babies will do that to you ! :rolleyes:
    Have tried all sorts over the years, from water beds to futon o_O
    We (as a couple) are vastly different in size, I prefer quite firm as I am larger, the wife prefers soft and cuddly being a light weight.
    We settled on a multi pocket with spring rates after trying too many various stores/manufacturers :confused:
    So try/lay on many, for one to five min, narrow your "ageed preferences" and test for a min of 30min each;)
    Ours was $1,500 ÷ 10 years, ÷52 equates to $2.88 a week
    Worth every cent :D (if it lasts the 10 years)

Gockie likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - ended up turning our expensive memory foam mattress upside down, so the foam is on the bottom.

It moulded very quickly to our shapes, which meant two hollows and a huge lump in the middle of our king sized mattress. Ended up buying two foam eggshells and two mattress toppers and putting them on the upside down mattress instead - I like a soft bed being curvy - so much better.

Travelbug likes this.