New Listing Feedback

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Kesse, 3rd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Can I also suggest adding an extra charge per guest over say 4 guests? There will be more laundry and more risk of damage when there are more guests.
    Good luck! With stayz (or any other platform apart from airbnb), endeavour to get the money into your bank account asap!

2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Noted, thank you.

Yep, guest paid the non-refundable booking fee which is on it's way apparently with balance to be paid early December but I don't think the balance finds me until a day or two after they check in.

Also on Tripadvisor and registered with booking.com but they're still verifying me. Thankfully been able to sync Tripadvisor and Airbnb calendars but not possible with Stayz. Hopefully be able to with booking.com other PITA managing all the different calendars.

3. Gockie

The Booking.com calendar will sync with airbnb. From my experience only stayz you had to sync manually.

With booking.com, make sure you put it in your settings so you get the credit card numbers of guests at the time of booking. And process it. And request for ID for guests. Ditto for stayz guests.

hobo, Ouchmyknees and Kesse like this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm not really familiar with Air BnB and other short term rental sites, but I think the listing is fantastic and your photos are amazing!

$275 per night? I think you're under-pricing it.

A room at a 4 star hotel is probably going to cost similar, this is 4 bedrooms, private pool, living space etc. Is the competition similar value for money?

5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete!

I think I'm under pricing it too but that's almost on par with the comparables in the area. Once I get a few bookings under my belt then I'll move the price to ~$300p/n which will be towards the top end with the similar ones in the area.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So those who don't mention it just include it in the daily rate?
    Marg

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

When I book Airbnb the service fee is added on top of the quoted rate- which I think is underhanded. So I think I'm going to pay $150 but the final calculation is for $170.44 including the added fee. Airline companies have previously been in trouble for quoting fares which didn't include fuel levies etc, I think this is in the same category.

Adele likes this.
  8. Gockie

It will be additional for all bookings - and I don't like that it appears this way either. And the interesting thing is, hosts don't see how much the guests actually pay. We have to ask them. We get one view of the prices, they get another.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Agree.

So even if there is a service fee included, you still pay another after booking?

I find the Airbnb site difficult to compare property costs.
    Some charge cleaning fees, some don't. And those who do can vary wildly.
    Some charge a service fee, some don't.
    It makes it difficult to compare properties when some daily rates are inclusive, some have extra charges.

One reason we have never stayed in one, it is just too complicated. We find bookings,com much more user friendly and easier to navigate.
    Marg

10. Gockie

The service fee which is from airbnb should be on all bookings. The cleaning fee is up to the host. Same with a bond.

I think another bad thing is that of the website doesn't work out where you are, you could get quoted in USD. I've had guests have trouble with that.

All in all though, as a host I like Airbnb's way of doing things. Better than stayz or booking.com. Booking.com guests can be really flaky.

11. geoffw

I didn't think it was all that complicated- and it can be a whole lot cheaper than a hotel, and there are frequently more options.

Hotels.com sometimes also does a sneaky. If it thinks that you're from overseas, it will quote a price excluding GST, in the same way that Airbnb excludes their service charge.

12. Savy mum

Savy mum Well-Known Member

I totally agree @geoffw I always find the Airbnb website very user friendly. We are going to Qld in the school hols in January. Booking directly through Mantra was going to cost an extra $1300 than Airbnb, so we booked through Airbnb, at the same hotel. We have saved ourselves quite a bit of money. Same outcome in the end

geoffw likes this.
  13. Savy mum

Savy mum Well-Known Member

Wow Kinnon, your home is stunning!! Ive added your listing to my saved list and Ill definitely stay there when we holiday in Cairns

Kesse likes this.
  14. geoffw

That raises a good point, not often mentioned. Hotels often use Airbnb, but it's not always obvious that it's a hotel.I was caught that way once, so I've been more careful since.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had no idea hotels could use Airbnb. I'd be mighty peeved if I was paying more than I could have if I'd booked the same place though Airbnb.

geoffw likes this.
  16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I agree with Geoff. I don't find it complicated to book Airbnb. We've used it here, in Japan, Singapore & Hawaii. It's my preference, as I can usually get a bigger place (like a whole unit) for less than the cost of a hotel.

Sackie likes this.
  17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

First lot of guests are arriving today for 3 nights - hope it all goes well.

I'm going to get an "I told you so" from my husband as I didn't think it would happen this quick.... :rolleyes:

skater, geoffw and Savy mum like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Best of luck!

Kesse likes this.
  19. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

What a place!
    The only thing I'd change would be mentioning the mangroves.

Oh and you should set up shop as a pro real estate photographer. The photos are outstanding!

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

+1

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia