New laws how to get owner to pay for basic repairs pls

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 12th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Can someone clarify How I can get landlord in victoria to pay for basic repairs Eg of a toilet cistern and electrical plug

do I put in writing that it’s now 2 weeks since I notified them of these urgent basic repairs so pls organise it within ( how many days should I give them ?)
    Or I will organise the Repairs aBd deduct it from my rent

I’ve been renting for some years and they never fix anything but this faulty electrical sickst in the laundry aBd a broken toilet cistern r urgent .

the new laws r meant to help tenants but what do they allow me to do and how best to do this pls

thank u

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, when you first raise the issue.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This! You can't just pick up the phone and expect action. Put it in writing.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Always notify everything in writing, that way you have proof you raised the issue (and the date).

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Two weeks ago you notified them. Was that in writing?

6. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Different view. What's stopping you from buying a new eclectic plug, or organising your own sparky to come out and fix it? If you've been renting there for years then it would be worth sorting this out yourself. Being a Renter does not come with a concierge service. If something is not right, then YOU fix it if it's important to you!

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Some landlords get uptight when tenants take matters into thier own hands.
    I would suggest its only reasonable to expect a landlord to sort out repairs in a timely manner, and tenancy legislation often agrees.

Rugrat likes this.
  8. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

It is the responsibility of the landlord to provide basic repairs and maintenance. I know that I would rather be informed so I can organise to have things repaired. And I certainly wouldn't be expecting the tenant to be out of pocket for these issues (not unless they were directly at fault for causing said issues). If I am paying, I want to be able to have control over who does the work and how much I am paying. (Or at the least have my PM have direct control of those things).

To the OP, notify the real estate in writing, like others have said. Chase it up again with a phone call if they don't respond after a day or two, and then send another email outlining what was spoken about in the phone call to create a paper trail.
    If the landlord / property manager is still being difficult and not responding, it may be worth getting in touch with your local tenants advocacy service (google to figure out who to contact). You may need to press the issue and take the matter to tribunal if the landlord is refusing to uphold their basic responsibilities. Hopefully it doesn't get to this stage but this is why you keep the paper trail documenting everything.

Sometimes it can take a while to organise for tradies to actually get in and do a job, so it is possible they are acting on the information and just not communicating it to you. But do chase it up in case they aren't doing anything. Unfortunately there are crappy landlord out there, just like there are some crappy tenants. I would like to think that most are pretty reasonable though. Good luck.

TAJ and Phoenix Pete like this.
  9. TheRayTracer

I wholeheartedly agree! However, if the rental provider is ignoring the renter and the renter really wants the items actioned, I highly doubt the rental provider is going to care (or even notice) if you fix these items yourself for a few hundred dollars.

10. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Why should the tenant be out of pocket for these repairs while paying several hundred dollars a week to the landlord. These sorts of recalcitrant landlords are the reason why there is more and more legislation to protect tenants and enforce their rights.

Tom Rivera, Rugrat, TAJ and 1 other person like this.
  11. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

If the rental provider is ignoring the tenant then legislation requires of an appropriate course of action, which is not for the tenant to pay for repairs themselves.
    A rental provider is not absolved of thier responsibilities simply because 'they do not care or notice'.

Rugrat likes this.
  12. TheRayTracer

Again, I fully agree with the sentiment of the previous reply's. However, this is popcorn eating advice. I assume when OP says "plug" he means GPO or Power Outlet. This would be a safety issue and requiring urgent attention. OP needs to organise an electrician to attend the property ASAP. Waiting for the Rental Provider to reply and do this is seriously life threating bad advice. Same advice for the toilet.