New Labor Leader?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by geoffw, 19th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Albo

Propertunity likes this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I nearly fell of my chair laughing when he was having a go at Scomo and co about the borders.....lol x 20

Observer likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes, cheers to that !

Maybe it is just me, but he seems like a diddling, fumbling do nothing that just grooms himself well. He has had a chance to do things and fix economy etc, I cannot think of anything he does except pop up to say whatever negative he can think up.

I hope he or similar does get the job :)

4. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Tanya Plibersek’s disastrous comment that cost Labor Queensland

Tanya Plibersek has been slammed over a remark she made in the lead-up to the election, which may have cost her party the crucial state of Queensland.

Bob Katter has slammed Tanya Plibersek over Labor’s spectacular election loss in Queensland, blaming her and others who spoke out against the Adani coalmine for the unexpected result.

The Maverick MP said the deputy opposition leader made a serious error in hitting out at the coal industry.

“Tanya Plibersek ran amok … she was out there denigrating the coal industry and saying it will phase out,” he told Sky News. “To say that on the eve of the election, in which there are six marginal seats in North Queensland in the coal belt, was absolutely disastrous.

“The ALP was certain on the polling to take all six seats. Now she and a bunch of loudmouthed extremists that have immense power in the Labor movement have seized control of the Labor movement to very much the detriment of the Labor Party.”

He said that, as a result, the Labor Party “blew all six seats to smithereens”.
    -----------

Full article here

Not going to be easy for Tanya to turn around things for ALP in Queensland if she were to become the next ALP leader.

To me I think Albo looks like the best candidate so far.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Dean Collins, qak and Toon like this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Oracle, i think ALP wants a female leader to be perceived as progressive.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I think Joel Fitzgibbon. Sweeping change needed.

7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Get rid of all the dinosaurs - I am tired of looking at the faces that have been around too long ... and OMG the Labor vote in Newcastle fell, that's a first ... :eek:

larrylarry and Perthguy like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and people take Bob Katter seriously? I guess they do, as they voted him in ... but would've thought "loudmouth extremist" was rather the pot calling the kettle black

Dean Collins likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I dont think she can? Shame

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Comments from Bob Matter will of course be completely unbiased. While it may well be true, I take it in the same vein as any other politician criticising a member of an opposing party.

11. geoffw

It can be done. John Gorton was a senator when he became party leader, but soon took up a seat in the House. To date, he is the was the first and only senator to assume.prime ministership.

But I think it's highly in this case.

Perp likes this.
  12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Albo is the only one of the three contenders with charisma, certainly the one with broad likeability and most electable. Not that this seems to count for anything with the Labor caucus.

Plibersek, while no doubt capable, often comes across as dismissive, frosty and a bit condescending when challenged in public appearances. While this demeanor probably appeals to rusted on Labor voters, who are already on side with whatever policy or point of view she is behind, this will be a big hurdle in appealing to swinging voters. Although part of this is probably sexism (don't shoot the messenger) it is an unfortunate reality of the electorate's perceptions.

Bill Shorten could not warm to swinging voters either, and Chris Bowen struggles as well. Albo is the smart choice to win an election, or somebody else younger (Chalmers?).

oracle likes this.
  13. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Just my thoughts:
    I really like Tanya, but I agree she has a bit of a smartypants about her. May need to tone that down, and her comments about coal mining are going to be hard to overcome. I would vote for her though, over any of the others.
    Penny Wong - I don't mind her, but I think female & gay is a tough one to sell to the Aust voter. She was so p'd off on Saturday night, couldn't believe what she was seeing.
    Albo - another union man ...

Lizzie likes this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

This is the problem with Mexicans. They treat Katter as a joke and an idiot.

His constituents don’t. And they love him, especially he gets up other politicians and especially the ALP and the Greens.

Saturday proves his popularity. His first preference vote was 41.0% (up 2.7%) and two party preferred, it was 63.6% (up 2.6%). Many ALP and Green candidates would die for these numbers.

And he has been in the House of Representatives for 26 years (since 1993).

Prior to that, he was a member of the Queensland State Parliament for 18 years (1974 to 1992) including two ministerships (Minister for Development and Community Services and Minister for Mines and Energy).

Not many people survive in politics for 44 years.

But he has been an elected member for basically all of those 44 years.

Jokes and idiots don’t survive that long in politics. He must be smart, shrewd, cunning, strategic, ...

Ignore his public persona. Many haven’t to their peril.

Sackie, marty998, Perthguy and 4 others like this.
  15. geoffw

Plibersek has announced that she's not running. She says it's not her time.

Perp likes this.
  16. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

This is only by tradition; it's not a requirement. The Constitution allows either an MHR or Senator to be PM. In fact, they don't even have to be an MHR or Senator at the time they're appointed PM, provided they become one or the other within three months of becoming PM.

I'd love to see Penny Wong as leader, but from the way she responded when asked if she'd consider moving to the lower house on the ABC on Sat night - "no way" - I'm assuming she was also answering the implied question about the leadership, too.

Sadly, I suspect Australia's not ready for a gay Asian woman PM - even though I think she'd be the best.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

And that goes for a lot of pollies

Tony Abott nailed it in his farewell piece about the distinctions of things like climate change being a moral issue, vs an economic issue, depending on where your voters are

ta
    rolf

MWI and kierank like this.
  18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

May be she is too scared of ScoMo :D?

19. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Or reads Property Chat?! :p

Scott No Mates, qak and kierank like this.
  20. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Think The Shovel might be onto something...

Attached Files:

oracle likes this.