New “JobKeeper” payment: $1500 per fortnight for each employee they keep on over the next six months

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Hetty, 30th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Got it. Can you use jobkeeper to pay annual leave? I thought that’s what Qantas trying to do

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yes. Qantas pilots I'm assuming earn around 5750 a week or more/less for example. So if Qantas pilots don't take any annual leave then they get paid 750 a week/1500 a fortnight from job keeper payments. So it's not enough for most that have financial commitments greater than that amount.

So they are taking their annual leave which is 5750 a week or so, $5000 is from Qantas but $750 a week is paid from the jobkeeper amount, but all paid together at the same time, saving the company paying 750 a week to that employee.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2020
    Omnidragon likes this.
  3. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Employers have to pay superannuation, workers compensation and leave entitlements as if they were all working properly.

so no... lots of employers won’t be able to afford to give any staff the jobkeeper and will Instead leave them unemployed

TMNT and Anchor like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's not perfect but it's a useful "tool" if businesses want to retain their staff and not have them go somewhere else. They will be able to come out of hibernation with the staff that they have trained and maintained which is very useful.

Whilst it will cost them time and money and effort it is better than nothing. The hardest bit it waiting until the govt back pays it - the govt has said "talk to your bank" if you don't have reserves to cover it or see if the staff can wait. Neither are great but hopefully various companies can overdraft, use savings and or backpay staff when it comes.

Technically staff are a little worse off vs JobSeeker as JobKeeper is taxed however I think most would be happy with that downside if it meant they had a job to come back to.

I know a few people who will get "pay rises" under jobkeeper - young casual/part timers who work in gyms, cinemas, restaurants. I don't have an issue with this at all as I'm pretty sure 90% of it will be spent on the local economy.

TMNT likes this.
  5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Definitely is a useful tool, I’m about to receive it shortly. The great thing about it is I can try other jobs and still earn a wage from another employer whilst still earning 1500 from job keeper for a few months. The hardest part is will my company survive, hope so.

Westminster likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! I'm one of them. I only draw an income of $440 per month from my business. My accountant has told me to apply.

Sackie, TMNT and Westminster like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A pay rise? :D

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You could even go as far as to say that I actually might get paid.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

They are probably the employees best placed to lodge applications. Many accountants, for instance, have had to swot up on the details in order to help clients.

I'm surprised to see individual companies named. It implies that applications are not confidential.

TMNT likes this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

could be just the type of industry that is viewable

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Close but not quite - the pay of $5750 a week is normal salary, super etc must still be paid on this and paid from Qantas.
    It is noted as claiming Jobkeeper for eligible employees through single touch payroll.
    The $750 Jobkeeper is paid to the business to subsidise the employee but does not change the employees pay structure if already paid above $750 /week.
    Effectively it is kept by Qantas to help keep the employee on the books so agree does net result of saving the company $750 / week.

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2020
  13. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Incorrect - if Jobkeeper is being used to ‘top up’ an employees pay to $1500 a fortnight, it is optional (not compulsory) at the employer’s discretion if they pay super on this portion.
    The employer must still pay super on the ‘normal’ portion of salary.
    Ie If $1000 f/n ‘normal’ salary & $500 Jobkeeper ‘top-up’ to reach $1500 f/n, super is compulsory on the $1000 & optional on the $500.

qak likes this.
  14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

It would have been on the books regardless if taking leave or not. Virgin on the other hand is crediting employee's leave so they don't waste any during this sit out stand down period. Qantas is benifiting as ones leave is a cost regardless.

15. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

My comments are correct. I’m assuming job keeper amount is below their standard salary - which i imagine it would be for the vast majority of workers since median salary is much higher than 1500 a fortnight.
    So the business owner may only be paying them 1500 a fortnight on job keeper, but they still have to pay super their as if their salary was their normal higher amount.

16. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Please advise which scenario you’d like - these comments contradict each other.

If the employee is still working and earning equal to or greater than $1500 per fortnight through salary / wages, normal SG & benefits are payable on this salary / wages.
    In this case they can not be paid ‘$1500 per f/n on Jobkeeper’ comment is incorrect.
    The Jobkeeper payment is effectively kept by the business as a subsidy towards keeping the staff employed in the business & no change to the employees fortnightly pay & benefits received (whilst >$1500 f/n).

If the staff member has been stood down / reduced hours and is receiving either $0 or less than $1500 per f/n for hours worked, ie only ‘ paying them $1500 per fortnight on Jobkeeper’ - then the super comment is incorrect - Super is optional at employer discretion on Jobkeeper ‘top-up’ amount to $1500 f/n - see link attached and also the initial treasury explanation (this is still to be legislated as at 23/4).

Paying your eligible employees

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2020
  17. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

You have misread and misunderstood every post I’ve done.