New “JobKeeper” payment: $1500 per fortnight for each employee they keep on over the next six months

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Hetty, 30th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Antoni0 and Codie like this.
  2. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

News just in: Businesses to get $1500 per fortnight for each employee they keep

What happens if an employer has already suspended work for casual workers a couple of weeks ago who were all working 2 days a week, and that employee already requested to take their long-service leave pay to be paid week by week? Will that casual employee lose out on getting this payment? Will that employee also get the full $1,500 per fortnight even if they were working 2 days per week? Would be be best for that employee to cancel getting paid their long-service leave immediately?

That article says:

3. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Reading the above tells me what matters is the $1500 per fortnight before tax payment. Number of hours and number of days the employee works is not that important.

If the employee receives (currently) $1500 or more per fortnight they shall continue to receive that amount and the $1500 JobKeeper payment is subsidising payment of that income. If the employee is receiving less than $1500 per fortnight they should now receive $1500.

So in your case if employee is working 3 days instead of 5 days what is the fortnightly salary of working 3 days? If this employee is nominated for JobKeeper payment by their employer the employer will get $1500 per fortnight and the employer can decide whether they use the $1500 payment to increase the number of days of the employee to 5 days or still keep it at 3 days. Irrespective, they have to pay the employee minimum $1500 per fortnight (before tax).

Hope that helps. Thats my understanding anyways.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

TMNT likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I picked a bad time to start a new job. The payment doesn't apply for those employed less than 12 months.

Sackie likes this.
  5. Always Learning

Always Learning Member

We picked a bad time to down size our business. No employees since this time last year as work got quiet so hubby and I work long days 7 days a week and have done for last year to keep biz going.
    Can't get $1500 a week as we are not classed as employees and can't get business stimulus as we have no employees and not sure if we can draw super as we are not classed as sole traders?

Not really sure where we fit in.......

6. Always Learning

Always Learning Member

is the rule employed in the same job or just employed anywhere for 12 months

7. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

According to the fact sheet posted further up this thread, the 12 month minimum only applies to casual employees. If you are part or full time, you are eligible.

Hetty likes this.
  8. geoffw

I don't know if this is applicable
    Federal Government offers $130b in coronavirus wage subsidies for businesses to pay workers - ABC News

Sole traders, self-employed people, partnerships and trusts will also be eligible.

9. geoffw

10. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I don't think casual is ambiguous, but part time could be by that sentence. The official government fact sheet is not ambiguous at all and the casual / 12 month requirement is in its own sentence:

Full time and part time employees, including stood down employees, would be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment. Where a casual employee has been with their employer for at least the previous 12 months they will also be eligible for the Payment.

geoffw likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The law isnt available however the PM media seems pretty clear.

Its available to FT PT and casuals who meet the 12months eligibility. If they are RETAINED (paid) the jobseeker benefit is paid to the employer.. This measure is an incentive to employers NOT employees. The employer keeps the employee paid. The employer is paid after the employee is paid. The catch is the employee must have been paid at least $1500 a F/N (gross) for the employer to receive that same amount but a employee can only be eligible from ONE employer affecting PT staff If a employee is paid less its not eligible.

The employee must be continually employed prior to 2 March 2019 and also STILL employed and paid after 1 March 2020 to be eligible. Backdating someone to payroll after being stood down could be a option. Depends on the law, I expect them may need to be backpaid.

Employers will need to register through the ATO and likely complete employee details using some form of application through the ATO. The measure applies to businesses with turnover under $1billion and who are not banks. Eligible employees include Kiwis

Codie likes this.
  12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

13. Always Learning

Always Learning Member

geoffw likes this.
  14. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi Paul, what if i want to employ someone moving forward will i be eligible? didn't think so but thought i'd ask. Cheers, Elives

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

16. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

So we're a growing business and we turnover 100% more than the same month last year.
    We scaled up staff over that time to cope with the growth.
    We've had an immediate drop of 35%, but thats still a 30% rise from a year ago.
    So the way I read it our business would not receive any assistance to keep employees on.

17. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

Like @Elives I would be interested to know if there are any incentives to employ. We could employ in our marketing/sales area to build a bigger business which in turn would keep/add employees in production.

Curious2019 likes this.
  18. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

I’m curious about how this will work for new businesses in operation less than 12 months? Also wondering about the situation posed by @The Butler, I’m in a similar boat with my business.

19. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

We're in the same boat as @The Butler year on year we've been growing the business, we've been slightly increasing profit pretty much every month for the last 4 years up to the end of March this year.

We'll likely continue for another 1 - 2 months at a similar turn over as our turn over is based on work already secured from 3+ months ago but any new work has totally dried up, so we'll fall of a cliff turn over wise in probably 6 weeks, 8 max then our turnover will drop to pretty much zero.

I guess then we'd need to hold on for another month so we have a month on the books of low turnover to become eligible, by which point we're around 4 months into the 6 months of payments available?

When things do pick back up, in our industry clients run on 90 day accounts. We'll need to be able to cover full time staff wages for 2 to 3 months after any new work starts until invoices for work done start rolling in again, that could be 3 months away from now.

At the moment we're still tendering heaps of work but no one is pulling the pin on starts and we have work to finish, so we're kind of kicking the can down the road, just hope we don't kick the can so far that we punt it right passed all the stimulus!

Financially, our business will start to feel it most just as things are starting to come good I think.

20. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Found out how they’re finding this lol

“Late last night, NSW health minister Brad Hazzard signed one of the most strict ministerial directions yet, with fines of $11,000 if someone is caught outside their house without a ‘reasonable’ excuse. Reasonable is essential grocery shopping, a medical reason, compassionate grounds, or work or education which can not be done in the house.”

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia