New job - how long to wait for refi?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Zepth, 29th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Hi all, hopefully a simple and easy answer for the brokers out there.

I recently changed jobs, nice pay increase but a new job all the same. And to add to the things banks dont always like the new job is a contractor role for the first 12 months with the high likelihood of moving to perm afterwards.

I would like to refinance our PPOR mortgage in the somewhat near future but before I go wasting a broker's time is there any minimum time in a new job before it is worthwhile applying for loans? Have been there just over a month so far, have not been a day out of work for the last 20 years.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

many a lender will be ok with that as long as its a similar role

ta
    rolf

Zepth likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Is it a PAYG job or a contractor role? There can be issues with probationary periods, most dislike casual work and contracting as self employed is a red flag with a likely issue but when its through a agency with PAYG it may be less frowned upon. The fact its a contract period could be a issue but broker can guide this as ssome lenders may be better than others

Zepth likes this.
  4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

If PAYG contractor, then this should be ok. Below 80% makes it easier.

Zepth likes this.
  5. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Both these apply.

Thanks, I might start making some enquiries with my broker and see how it goes, worst case if I have to wait a bit to get past the probation fears it’s not a big deal

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The 80% test is probably one of the most misunderstood rules in tax law. I assume you are meaning 80% LVR which certainly lightens the loan approval. especially for a ongoing contractor issue

Many lenders are now more undersatanding of PSI compliance for contractors and its not unusual for a accountants lette on compliance to be requested

Colin Rice likes this.
  7. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

I had assumed 80% LVR.

the nuts and bolts of the arrangement is that I am a PAYG employee of company a, and working 100% of my hours on a contract with company b. Company a is essentially a labour hire company

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This type of employment dynamic is becoming more common and if the consistency of income can be demonstrated then not an issue attaining finance.

9. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

You'll be right, some lenders view contract full time roles no difference to normal full time PAYG.

Both can be terminated anytime.

Zepth likes this.