New Investor - How do I find cash flow suburbs?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Frank Manno, 5th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

I've never heard of HTW. Are they somewhat like a buyers agent. Do you use their services?

-Frank

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

They aren't a buyers agent but have a read of their comprehensive report. It comes out the first of every month and it's free. Tonnes of info in their on the state of the market on everything in most parts of Australia - rural, resi, industrial, retail, office....

3. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Have you looked in the invest section of realestate.com.au?
    You are able to look for the highest yeilds within your budget across Australia, then narrow down to what where why etc from there.

4. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Hi Gockie.

I do look at this "clock" as its published and updated and include it in the many variables I consider, although ultimately I make my own "clock".

Whilst in general I agree, overall with roughly where cities are placed on the clock I think that they are very wrong with where they are placing the Gold Coast. I would place if more around the 7.30 o'clock level.

As for yields, we have houses in some great capital gains areas (mermaid waters, Broadbeach waters, Palm beach yielding 5.5% (even higher for duplexes and units), and with potential for very strong capital gains (not to mention longer term very lucrative exit opportunities on development potential).

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If you know Gold Coast that well and can spot the bargain, by all means, go for your life, there's markets within markets. I've done the same in Sydney. But the HTW graph signals caution to the general public who may not know the market or region as well.

6. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I think if you are concerned about cashflow, @Frank Manno, you should be really thinking about net yields. I think gross yields can be disingenuous, especially when comparing asset classes.

Beelzebub, Beano and MTR like this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yeah that clock is ok, but it also gives a false signal for the general public.
    Toowoomba is also not in a 'starting to decline' as it's been declining for 18months and close to 'approaching bottom' as agents are confirming now.

8. big max

In general I agree with the comments on the HTW. Also I agree, (and especially on the Gold Coast) you really need to know what you are doing. Easy to be burned if you don't know what you are doing (although to some extent a rising tide benefits all ships, or whatever the phrase is ...)

9. big max

For sure!

Beano likes this.
  10. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

I could renovate if I had to. It isn't part of my plan though but I could.. I would probably get a renovation company/builder to do the work though rather than me manage tradesmen.

-Frank

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Frank you could also look at other strategies as quality cash flow properties today may be scarce and not sure what you will achieve, I think last time I looked at the numbers in Adelaide in a not so desirable area for example you would perhaps be $2000 cash flow in front pa, is this really worth it? Its a no for me. It could you a YES for you??? don't know

Have a look at what guys are doing in the Melb market with land and house packages there are some investors @Cactus doing this stuff, the formula I believe is new product, depreciation and smaller land component for cash flow.

I am a developer that's another option, but at this stage in the cycles not sure it is viable option.

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2016
    Cactus and Perthguy like this.
  12. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

That's the formula. Should be trying to create a 15-25% uplift in equity on completion and a 6-7% yield on costs. This will see you around 1-1.5% gross yield or circa $5k CF+ after depreciation and tax adbacks on an 80% lend on cost. Nothing huge but little to no maintenance and affordable stock for growth an resale with all the new immigrants moving into these growth areas.

radson and MTR like this.
  13. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

If you are really looking for a steady cash flow stream from day one. I'd consider finding a property you can add value to. It doesn't have to be any crazy renovations just simple stuff like painting, new light fittings, new door handles, blinds etc. It's beneficial as it creates equity, lowers vacancy rates and boosts rental return.

Be aware if you do end up buying in a regional town and hire a tradie, get lots of quotes! They like to take advantage of investors and out of towners. If you find a good property manager you shouldn't have a problem.

Here is a cheap renovation I did last year My latest mini renovation under $3k

Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  14. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

That was net yield rental not gross.