new internal stairs, what to do ? Brisbane

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by bya38, 21st Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

we bought our first PPOR, 3 weeks ago, it is a two story house, with external stairs front and back, the ground floor is not legal height, but now in hindsight, we think an internal stairs are a must, the kids like to play in the ground floor, and it is weird, you can't see them, and it will be handy too, as there is a toilet there too.

my question is what's the process, do you I need a permit from the council (brisbane) and if yes, who do the application me, or the builder, and very vaguely how much the whole thing will cost

thanks for your help

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why did you buy it if the ground floor is not legal height?

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of houses aren't legal height, and as long as someone doesn't pay for something they haven't got, there is no issue with living in such a house. Lower level can be 1cm lower than legal height, but it is perfectly liveable. Of course, you cannot call a bedroom that is even 1cm lower than legal height a bedroom.

If you've paid the right price, and not paid money for something you don't actually have, all is good.

BNE, iloveqld and bya38 like this.
  4. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

thanks wylie, any idea what's the process to add a new internal stairs, do I need a permit

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would guess it is structural, but we've never added internal stairs except in our own house that did require plans and approval.

Someone who knows more will be along shortly, I'm sure, with an answer.

Would you remove one of the external sets?

bya38 likes this.
  6. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

yes in the long term, we will remove the one in the backyard and replace it with a proper deck, probably in a couple of years, as those deck cost a fortune.

7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Go and have a look at pretty much every highset house 12 to 40 km from the Brisbane CBD built between 1960 and late 70s. 2.1 to 2.3m is the standard height.I really don't understand why there is this discrepancy when the legal height is 2.4 but most of those properties have been build in under and have become 5 bedroom 2 bathroom houses they're more likely to have been built in under as habitable space than not built in under

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bya38 - Just need someone to draw the required plans - even though it's internal works, still requires a site plan, elevations, sections, engineer if support of the free edge of the floor is required.

bya38 likes this.
  9. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

And after that should I lodge an application or something, sorry no clue

10. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

I usually ask my builders for a quote and they would tell me

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You could DIY it like my dad.... I wouldn’t recommend it.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Unapproved building works could influence fire, safety and a range of issues. And result in insurance and other issues. If its not permitted exempt works then the council are required to approve it. The suggestion to break laws (Building Act, BCA and others) whether or not it involves fees doesnt sit with the PC rules and is proposing an illegal act.

The stair people would likely have a certifier process to support their services. Cutting a hole in a floor may affect the structure and plumbing and electricals. Ballustrading is a concern to be compliant. QLD laws appear to require that replacement stairs / ballustrading is not required to have fresh certification but a new staircase does need to comply.

You dont want a costly hearing : http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/3-02-021.pdf
    ....This hearing concerned a stair company who bypassed final certification and the installed stairs werent compliant. The owners were lucky and using a latching gate avoided a costly removal.

13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Give Marvans Baulustrading and Stairs a call. They did my stairs and they did a good job.