New HOUSE - floorplan change / Full Reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brady, 11th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

You always have a great eye Myf! @Westminster

There is already a half height cupbaord/bench below window - it's not on plan though :|

Great idea swinging the toilet around - would go behind the door or next the vanity?

upload_2022-4-22_15-14-27.png

2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Burramys think have come to discussion to go large bathroom there given 3rd bathroom downstairs - unless the builder comes up with another function design.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I do love storage in any area between house and garage :) Anything is better than nothing but I think you have enough room for some really practical - glad there is a bench in that spot.

I wouldn't put the toilet behind the door as it will end up awkward to walk between vanity corner and the toilet. I'd flip it around and have the cistern next to the vanity

Sackie and Brady like this.
  4. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

The door will hopefully closed when someone is using the toilet but yeah get what you’re saying. As always thanks

5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

7. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

That looks good, but it's a little confusing in that the ortho view has the back door on the right (and the laundry is missing) and the plan has the laundry on the left. The first elevation has the back door on the right. I'm unsure what the second elevation depicts. I think it's the fridge on the left and island bench. The long wall of cupboards is brilliant, masses of storage.

8. Westminster

I like it. I think my only suggestions would be:
    1. make the cutlery drawer bank wider in the island if possible. Not so much an issue if you are keeping cooking cutlery etc over by the hotplate but I do love wide drawers. Would only be possible if you don't need the full 900 for the sink
    2. swap the dishwasher and the sink. This has 2 upsides (i) more contiguous space on the top of the island for prep work or eating rather than 2 deep areas and (ii) allows you to scrape scraps into recycle bin easily then stack in the dishwasher and (iii)

I think the spot next to the fridge will make a good coffee/toaster station

9. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

1. Will likely use the top left draw next to the hotplate, that's how it is in current house.
    2. Have that in current setup, sink in the corner - does make for large useable space, will consider this when we go to selections next week.
    The island is much bigger than our current, this is ~3.2m whereas we have around 2.6m at the moment.

I'm not a huge fan of the microwave on the island, feel like it's too low. Thinking when taking hot food out, spillage. Along with my 2yo getting into it...
    Originally considered moving next to the fridge and having that a full cabinet there, but will impact on the window.

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Image should be easier this way :)

upload_2022-4-29_12-50-19.png

11. Westminster

On the microwave note, I totally understand. Have you thought about having one of your ovens as a multi function oven? I have 2 ovens and actually both can also be microwaves but I tend to use the top one of that function and the bottom one as an oven. My brain seems to expect it that way :p

I have the Siemens but I'm sure there are other brands that can do it Ovens with Microwave . The OMG amazing feature is that there is a combi microwave oven mode where it can microwave and cook at the same time - I can bake frozen party pies in 10mins lol! Also good for things like potato bake which take a long time and you don't want to find crunchy potato slices in the middle.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Westminster not going to lie didn't even know there was such a thing!
    How does the microwave in the oven perform?
    Do you still have a traditional separate microwave?
    Do they replace a microwave or just a cool feature added to an oven for faster cooking?

13. Westminster

Oh my, my life changed for the better since I got one. I hated the look of microwaves.
    OK so it looks like an oven and you can select the different watts for microwaving - defrost, 360W, 600W and 1000W just like a microwave BUT you just put your plate on the oven rack thingy and nothing blows up! So when microwaving there is nothing going round and round but it's fine.
    I can microwave anything just fine but there is one thing that doesn't work which is microwave popcorn. The lady at the shop said she had a trick but I couldn't replicate it and honestly I can live without popcorn
    I do not have a separate microwave, just my ovens. So if I want to cook frozen veggies I just put it on Microwave mode, throw in the glass container of veggies and cook on high (1000W) for 5 minutes or whatever.
    I'm sure there are some videos on youtube that explain it better than me :)

14. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

This sounds perfect except my wife and I are partial to port and popcorn on the balcony at the end the week!

15. Westminster

You will need to unlock the secret of how to do it or learn to like Cobs popcorn Home - Cobs Popcorn

Brady likes this.
  16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Sackie and Westminster like this.
  17. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Westminster @Sackie @Burramys love any feedback on some ideas - ground sounding board.

Kitchen Island - liking the curved panel look. Trying to incorporate some vertical timber to match the living area.
    Will be similar cabinetry - maybe lighter stone that in pic.
    Issue is by doing the curve like the picture would likely be at the cost of a bank of draws.
    Which is an extra set at the moment anyway

upload_2022-5-11_13-48-55.png

upload_2022-5-11_13-50-9.png

Trying to figure out a layout that looks nice for the main bathroom.
    visual issue with having the shower screen like that with the corner - always have shower wall 2 wall

It's 3x3 this area

upload_2022-5-12_11-37-55.png

Maybe keep the wall behind the door and have storage there for say towels?
    Would still be close to a 1500 shower, maybe 1200

upload_2022-5-12_11-47-1.png

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love the finishes for the kitchen. Is that 40mm stone bench? Looks 20mm. Love the fluted look with the rounded profile.

Not sure about the bar fridge in that kitchen location though. A lot of this is subjective too.

19. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

This is the most recent drawings - microwave moved from under island next to ovens.
    (noted drawing for island isn't correct as like the look of the panel being under the bench not flush - although this will cost us a draw, should get 4 stools comfortably)

@Sackie yes 20mm think it looks better with the panel and good for budget.

upload_2022-5-12_12-25-46.png
    Do you mean the Fridge or the bar fridge?

Considered having the fridge elsewhere, to have continual bench on that wall... but fridge would end up in the 'panty area' which would be kind of in the way and also impact on overall storage.

Could switch the fridge with ovens/microwave??

Bar fridge there, I dont mind - visually next to the other fridge.
    And will also be close for drink on the deck which is out that door.

upload_2022-5-12_12-30-14.png

20. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The white finish looks lovely. The bar fridge is unusual but it works. The microwave placement needs to take into account that the microwave and oven doors may hit each other. It's a relatively minor consideration.

In my last reno my instructions were unclear and a GPO was put under the cupboards over. I had this moved from under so that steam from appliances did not cremate the cupboards over. I'm thinking about stainless steel counters next to the cooktop so that hot pots can be put down. It does not look as nice as melamine or stone, but it's heatproof.