New Home Loan Structure

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Nick007, 14th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nick007

Nick007 New Member

Hi,

Just seeking some advice on structure and what I should do for better tax outcomes etc.

The place i'm in the process of buying is for an investment and maybe move into after several years if I get married have kids etc - 4 bedroom 2 story house, very well presented home.

Details:
    Price: $1m
    Borrowing: $800k
    Available Deposit: $450k ($200k going towards deposit).
    (Note figures are rough, I've calculated for legal and other fees separately).
    Salary: $100k before tax (Single income).

Rental return is pretty good, I'll be positively geared from year 1/2. The loan unfortunately does not have an offset account, hence it's at a reduced rate, but does provide unlimited redraw. I'm financially prudent and don't look at redrawing for cars etc, just need it for family emergencies.

I'm going to be parking my deposit into the loan to lower repayments and try put something aside where possible for future investments.

Any tax implications without an offset vs redraw? Downsides, upsides?
    Keen to hear thoughts!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What if you dont move into this property but want to buy somewhere else for ppor?

thats where the redraw and not an offset will cost you if you put extra money ‘into the loan’ (ie redraws are new borrowing). Likely more than the interest you are saving (which is probably tax deductible now).

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Redraw v offset

Any redraw that you make from the loan for non investment will contaminate the loan for tax purposes as you would be aware, im not a tax guy though

Perhaps look at splitting your buffer off before you redraw to isolate the loan part that is now fully drawn, and leave the redraw split with a small balance.

Is the loan PI or iO ?

ta
    rolf

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

So many downsides! ;)

Redraw is very rarely the right answer for an investment property loan. Using an investment savvy broker from this forum will be a valuable educational experience for you, and will possibly change your entire strategy - 'normal' banking wisdom (ie, lowest rate at all costs) is not often appropriate when investing and building property portfolios.

5. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Most likely you will be drawing some funds out to use, irrespective of how much, hence what Rolf notes is that you will unintentionally contaminate the loan.

It's why we always say..rate isn't the most important thing.

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Hey Nick, it sounds like it is an investment property. Are you thinking about buying an owner occupier in the future? If so, I'd definitely look at an offset product for this purchase.

There are plenty of lenders who don't load the rates for an offset product so you'll still be able to find an economical solution.