New Garage

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Boss, 9th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Scenario: I currently have several rental properties including one freestanding brick/tile house on an acreage. The house has a double garage. That said, I am thinking of having a detached, steel garage constructed on the block with a gravel driveway for access (most Tenants who live on acreages in the area seem to like storage for boats and other toys/stuff).

There is ample room on the block.

Question: How will the ATO view the construction of the steel garage and gravel driveway? 2.5% write off over 40 years depreciation? Some other depreciation scale? No depreciation?

Cheers

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Div 43 provided it is used solely as a element of the rental property. Otherwise, adjust for other use. It is a structure. Automagic roller motor unit may be Div 40 if one was fitted.

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2020
  3. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

I'm interested to know where you're coming from. At a glance (and with a second opinion) it appears to be Division 43 to me.

4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Doc 43 2.5%

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

TYPO...2.5% Div 43....Corrected:eek:

BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.