New from Darwin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Raoul D, 16th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Raoul D

Raoul D Member

New to property also. I'm working in trades currently in a few areas. Electrical and airconditioning - Dunwrights Air & Electrical | Darwin Electricians as well as roller doors, gates and fencing - Dunwrights Doors and Gates | Darwin & Palmerston
    So we work in a fair range of areas in the housing markets - new housing, refit, renovation, inspection etc. (if anyone needs any questions answered anywhere - more than happy to help).

I just stumbled across this forum and am blown away by the amount of info and the 'feet on the ground' perspective from people in their different areas. I've noticed up here a severe down turn in property prices, I think it will be a while before it returns to a healthy level. Its also interesting to look at the government projected figures for growth and decline as well as jobs in relation to this as well.

In Darwin, in my mind anyways, we have had a small and local economy without much national or international input prior to INPEX (LNG plant that has really floated and then destroyed Darwin economy) the market certainly wasn't flat lining prior to the plant. It was growing slowly. There was work and house prices were growing in relation to the local economy.

Then INPEX arrived and so many people got so greedy. Buying 2 and 3 houses without a business plan or an end goal. Renting them out for good coin. (till now) All across the world in many countries, when mining arrives, things are great until mining leaves. Surely in these times we would have learned from others mistakes.....but no.... (oh year, we gave our Darwin Port away to the Chinese for 99 years....but I digress). Work dries up for people, house prices plummet (great if you are buying! - some absolute bargains out there amongst the fear and uncertainty) people are leaving in droves.

Whats next for my area I wonder ? Just some introductory thoughts of mine! I look forward to reading more of yours.

Anyway, nice to meet you.

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

3. Raoul D

Raoul D Member

Cheers Hammer. You're from Darwin ?

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Welcome to the forums Raoul :)

5. Raoul D

Raoul D Member

Hiyas Jess. Thanks muchly.

Some interesting reading here for sure ;

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Yup. There are a few of us on here. You've come to a great forum.