New Flooring and adding new linen cupboard / doors

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lina8988, 17th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lina8988

Lina8988 Member

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well,

I was wondering if I can grab some advice from you guys in relation to flooring.
    I currently have polished hardwood flooring at home, there are very big gaps inbetween so i'm thinking about replacing them (as things seem to keep falling through).

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to which flooring is suitable for a dog? I'm thinking laminate? floating wooden floors?

Also on top of the flooring, I plan to get a brand new linen cupboard installed (will need to remove old one) and change all the internal bedroom doors.

I was wondering, do you get the flooring done first or linen cupboard and bedroom doors? (in which order is the best?)

Also, if you are in Sydney - if you can kindly recommend me a place for flooring - that would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading and replying x

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's a bit ruff.

Get a flooring mob out to have a look at it, they may be able to fill the gaps and repolish.

Your cheapest alternative will be a floating floor laid over the existing - you may need to adjust doors, skirtings etc.

3. Lina8988

Lina8988 Member

Love your pun :) Thanks for the reply. Yeh thats what i'm thinking too :)

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Timber floors and water (pee, drool and spilled water) arent great companions. Hardwood yes. Others no. And then there can be issues with heels and other things that may damage flooring. Any flooring retail store can advise on the options. The surface needs to be flat and old hardwood may not be that flat. And if its exhausted its polish life replacement ay be a better investment v covering it. And any termite or other damage will still be there covered by a cheap laminate. So the squeaks will stay.

After hardwood you may not even want a floating floor which is like putting cheap carpet over old parquetry . Cheaper may not be better.