New fence required - sharing cost

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Mr Dabolina, 16th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

So it looks like I will need to get a fence on 2 sides of my properties. As the fence is about to fall down and is in urgent need of repair/replacement, I was wondering is there a law that requires both neighboring parties to contribute 50% each and is there a process I will need to follow? Also, how can I find out who the contact details for the neighbor or landlord?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Pm will have owner's details via RPData, I have then written to both adjacent owners requesting a new fence.
    On another occasion a pm did this for me.
    Once the type of fence is agreed upon, I would get a few quotes and then present these to the other owners.

It's a long winded process but it usually works, I have had a few owners not wanting a new fence and I could of forced the issue but didn't. The replacement fence could have been a simple wire fence but I would prefer Colourbond or a wood pailing fence.

On one occasion I paid an adjacent owner's third share as she was a single pensioner and said she couldn't afford it.
    It can take a while to organise but often the other party is pleased when you contact them and go to the effort arranging quotes etc as they were thinking about replacing it as well.

4. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

@HUGH72 Thanks. I will have to see if the PM can pull some strings and get the LL to agree.