New email service provider

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 24th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've just moved the forums to use a new email service provider for sending emails like thread reply notifications, new private conversation notifications and so on.

If you aren't getting emails you think you should be, please let me know and I'll investigate.

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel can you please explain a bit more how it would work? Are you saying that for private conversation, we can now email each other rather than replying on the forum?

3. Simon Hampel

Sorry, no.

I was just referring to the normal emails which get sent out from the forums to notify people about things - they are sent via a "email service provider" who helps ensure deliverability of those emails (avoid getting marked as spam and such).

I've just changed from one provider to another - there is no change in the functionality of the site.

Please do not reply to those notification emails. We get lots of people relying to private conversation messages which clearly say "Please do not reply to this email". Those email replies end up in my helpdesk system NOT as a private conversation message :eek:

One day when I have time, I might spend the time to make replying to private conversation messages by email actually work - but that's pretty low on the priority list.

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I used to receive the emails but for the last 4 weeks they have been automatically going to my spam box. Not sure why.

5. Simon Hampel

I was just looking at the rejection list from our previous Email Service Provider - I note that there are three Hotmail addresses (including yours) which have been added to the rejection blacklist for spam complaints (ie something or someone at your end complained about our emails as being spam). That would explain why you haven't been getting them in your inbox.

I've seen a lot of complaints from other website operators about deliverability to Hotmail addresses - it seems they are overly zealous with blocking some legitimate emails.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the notifications you get now that we've changed providers. If they are being marked as spam, I'm going to have to proactively restrict people from using Hotmail addresses to prevent it becoming a more widespread problem.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2016
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Thanks @Simon Hampel my Gmail gets all notifications. All good.

7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel thank you. Not sure how that happened but I will fix this now by removing property chat from spam .

8. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

@Simon Hampel

I am not receiving email alerts for conversations. Box is ticked, not in spam folder, was working last week. @live email address.

Cheers.

9. Simon Hampel

Yes @HD_ACE ... I can see your email in the queue - it's been delayed several times by Microsoft's servers with error messages about too many emails being sent. They seem to be pretty vicious with their throttling.

This seems to be a known problem with delivery to hotmail.com and live.com addresses and is a combination of Microsoft being overzealous in their throttling and perhaps some sending issues (which cause MS to be overzealous) from our email provider end.

They have asked us to report the problems to their engineering team and will look into it. We're not the only people reporting these issues - seems to be fairly wide spread, so hopefully we'll see a resolution.

Will keep an eye on it and let you know what happens.