WA New DV amendments to the residential tenancies act in force

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by thatbum, 15th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

The amendments are now in force as of today.

Media Statements - Way forward for tenants facing family violence

Probably not a lot for landlords to cheer for, but I don't think they are particularly onerous either, compared to what tenants were already able to do with hardship terminations previously.

I fully expect some time before most WA PMs get their head around how it all works, if they ever do it correctly at all.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

As a landlord I don't object to these changes at all.

MyPropertyPro, Angel and Westminster like this.
  3. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Still has some reasonable protections in there for the landlord. For example:

If part of the security bond is paid out and the tenancy is ongoing, the lessor/property manager will be entitled to ask the remaining tenant(s) to top up the security bond to the maximum amount permitted under the Act.

If a remaining tenant does not top up the bond, a Notice of Breach of Agreement (Form 20) can be issued and if the tenant continues to refuse to top up the bond, then this may result in a Notice of termination (Form 1C).

And:

You must inform the lessor/property manager about your intention to make the security upgrades, which must be installed by a qualified tradesperson. You are responsible for any associated costs and to supply a copy of any invoice to the lessor/property manager. All upgrades should comply with strata by-laws and take into consideration the age and character of the property. If the landlord asks you to restore the premises to original condition at the end of the tenancy, you are required to do so.

There is some good supporting info but I agree. I too often find PMs take a "I'll worry about it when it happens" approach and then struggle rather than taking the time now without the pressure of time and an actual occurrence to look at all the information and get the process right.

- Luke

thatbum likes this.