New downpipes installation cost

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by David Shih, 3rd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to check for those of you who have done it before... How much (roughly) does it cost to install two additional downpipes at back of the house?

Also does anyone have a recommended plumber in Moreton Bay area in QLD?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    David

Last edited: 3rd May, 2016
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I can't remember how much the fine is for connecting the storm water from your roof to the sewer. You'd be very lucky if you found a plumber who would knowingly do illegal work too.

3. David Shih

Lol thanks Scott apologies for my ignorance...updated the original post now.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've got a roofer/plumber contact on the Northside, I'll find it and PM.

5. David Shih

Thanks Azazel :)

Just got a quote off serviceseeking.com.au - $400 to $800 ex GST. Does this sound like a fair price?

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

connect your sewer to your storm water Bangladesh style.

David Shih likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe less then 100bucks in materials,so from the $400.00 up wards is a good price.

David Shih likes this.
  8. David Shih

Ok guys opening this up for open discussion...

The B&P report states:
    The surface water drainage at the rear of the property appears to be inadequate. Drains should be installed to divert seepage and surface runoff water away from the building to prevent possible structural damage. The drains should be connected to a stormwater drainage system.

So it sounded like not a downpipe issue, but more a needing more drain situation in backyard. When I asked the PM she said it's because there's not enough downpipes to divert the water on roof hence they overflow and will cause drainage issue.

For the experienced people...Do I need downpipe, more drains or both? Thanks in advance.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is the water run off going under the house or near the supports?

10. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Did the PM actually inspect the inside of the roof gutters, did he/she do the roof area calculations to determine there was insufficient down pipes?

If they're overflowing just maybe they need cleaning or unblocking a down pipe/stormwater drain..............

11. David Shih

I don't think so. The block is flat so the concern here is that during heavy rainfall the water would just stay still and potentially get through the soil underneath the concrete slab....

The B&P inspector did check the roof gutters and noticed small amount of leaf and debris which needs clean up but otherwise the condition is fair. B&P inspector didn't mention in the report about inadequate downpipes though. It was the PM who noticed there were only 2 downpipes in front of the house and nothing at rear so she was suggesting adding more downpipes at rear to improve waterflow...I think I'll need to clarify with B&P inspector tomorrow on this.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hmm, you might need to get someone out to give get an idea what needs done and get some quotes. Might need some drainage to move water way from the ground.

13. David Shih

Thanks Azazel. Yea getting a plumber there to check it out tomorrow. Hopefully the quote won't be too bad.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good stuff.
    Sometimes B&P reports can sound a little scary, and agents often don't know what they're talking about.

David Shih likes this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Sounds like a possible general drainage problem, lot of older places seem to be like this.

How long building been there ? is it damaged from this water already ? if not and it is a 50's or so build, then not likely to be any different now on unless existing drainage blocked..

Some of these inspectors are panic merchants.

David Shih likes this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, it can read like that sometimes, but maybe they're covering their bum bums?

17. dabbler

Yeah, for sure, that is what most are mainly concerned about now, everyone is scared.

I had one tell me they could not turn the AC on or off to let me know if it was working, I said why ? it is not in the inspection standards and it may never turn on again after I try it.......*sighs*

18. David Shih

Yeah, at end of the day I believe it's only *possible* drainage problem. Having said that though the current vendor only lived there for about 2.5 years, so a bit hard to tell about what happened in the past too.

Building is about 30 years old, I can't see signs of it being damaged from water previously and certainly wasn't mentioned in the report.

Yep they needed to. The B&P guy told me that if he didn't mention this to me and later down the track house got damaged by inadequate drainage then he's certainly in trouble so yeah, don't blame him.

Anyway, got two quotes back from two different plumbers today. Both suggested installing two more downpipes at rear of the property but it's the additional drainage that's the interesting part.

Option 1 - around $2K:
    A storm water surface pit to be installed at the lowest point of the yard.
    90mm Slotted drainage pipe installed against rear and right rear sides of house. Bedded with 20mm drainage gravel and geo tech fabric. All to be connected and discharge into
    rubble pit.
    Rubble pit to be filled with 20mm drainage gravel, layed with geo tech fabric and 100mm of existing soil to be levelled over top.

Option 2 - around $3.3K:
    To run the pipes to stormwater pit which will be installed at corner of house at the right hand back of the house looping from front of the house.
    To supply and install one 9000L/hour sump pump and pipe to street.
    Doesn't include electrical works.

To me, option 1 is a no brainer as I like to lower my cost...but any issues anyone can see with this option? Thanks.

19. dabbler

The only problem may be that all this water then sits in one spot in the rear yard, but that is better than sitting next to the house, but at the moment, it sounds like the existing pipes put all the water to the street ?

Very hard to tell unless your there.

Get some other people to come and look to see if any problem exists from their point.

20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Sounds like over kill.

Hard not knowing or seeing the house though.

The drainage issue that the b&p had raised its that the down pipes just flow to the ground. Water should be kept away from the house whether it's connected to a storm water pipe or simply extending the down pipe so that or discharges 1m or so away from the house to prevent damage to footings,walls etc

What do similar properties in the area have?

If there's nothing in the way just put am elbow on the bottom of the down pipe and run s pipe out 1m away from the house onto some gravel