New development and demolition

Discussion in 'Development' started by rogpr, 5th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rogpr

rogpr Member

hi members,
    I am developing on a land that has lots of trees and have the planning permit to remove them.
    yet to find a builder but i am looking to develop in next 5-6 months depending on when builder can start. while I go through all this, wanted to get your advice if I should remove the trees now. Someone told me to remove the trees to allow time for the soil to settle. or do I remove trees when demolition the existing house. we live in the house currently, so tree removalist will need to be careful not dropping the tree on the house. And if best to remove the trees now then remove the tree stumps too.

thank you

2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

We had a similar project. Removed them a month or so just when starting and preparing the site. Didn’t seem to cause any issues, but did need someone to go in and do some work with the tree roots removal. If only a couple months away may be best to do it soon anyway.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It will be cheaper to have them removed during the demolition (stumps anyway)
    Though many demolition company's often require tree's to be cut down to 2m odd or they won't remove.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some councils see tree removals as project commencement and will then require fencing and the clock starts. Tree root removal can also impact services which if not cut can see water, gas and fire and other problems. Strangely you may need a specific tree removal approval rather than just the dev approval that includes tree removal. Simple call to council to check their rules may avoid tantrums from rangers later.

5. rogpr

rogpr Member

thanks everyone. though i would like to have all trees removed now but it seems to better leave it until demolition. i hope demolition companies can remove the trees too.