New Carport help - options/ideas/budget

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by xdfubar, 15th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Hey everyone.

Our PPOR had a carport when we bought it a year ago, however it was derelict and we tore it all down and it's finally time to rebuild. There is no existing garage and no undercover parking at this time. However, I am a bit unsure how to proceed.
    20170815_164146.jpg

There is an existing single width concrete driveway (280mm wide) and it is approximately 8000mm in length from the fence line to the end of the driveway where it meets the pavers. There is also a small patch of brick pavers to the right hand side of the driveway (approx. 2500mm wide).

I am thinking of a double sized carport with a gable roof design (aesthetics) would provide ample car space as well as some under cover storage area. Something in the order or 6x6m in size. Am unsure whether this would have to be shorter to accommodate council clearances from road/fence line or if I'd be able to build up to the fenceline (the previous existing carport was to the fence line).

I want to, however am unsure whether I can, widen the driveway entrance. If I could, my crossroads are thus:
    • a) Demo existing driveway and adjacent pavers and pour new double width driveway
    • b) Keep existing driveway and repave adjacent pavers.
    • c) Keep existing driveway, life old pavers, pour new concrete slab next to it and paint/stencil to create one coherent look.
    • d) Keep existing driveway and build a single carport only.
    Initial budget is 5k and I would think most of this would go towards the carport structure itself. How much of this could I actually do myself (leaning on assistance from tradie neighbours and friends) or would I have to get in contractors/trades.

What would you do? What are your thoughts?
    Many thanks,
    xd