New builds in Rouse Hill vs Schofield

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by wabz, 11th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wabz

wabz New Member

Hello, I’d really appreciate some opinions/pointers on a couple of options for properties in Hills area.
    • Duplex, 4 bed plus 1 study, very close to completion. Schofield area.
    • Free-standing 5 bedroom, far north end of Rouse Hill. The build has not started yet.
    Land sizes are similar, ~300m. The closest station to both of these is Tullawong station. The free standing house is 1.9kms from the station and the duplex is 3.5kms away.

I’m leaning towards the free standing, as I suspect given current trends, is likely to increase capital faster. But would love everyone’s thoughts.

The duplex is by Wisdom Homes who seem to be fairly well established. The free standing builder is Luxy Homes. They are quite new, the company was established late 2019. This feels a bit risky to me, so if anyone has any experience with them it would be great to hear from you.

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Rouse hill any day of the week cause it's in the Hills District while Schofield's sits under blacktown council.

But yes, more due diligence needed for the builder at Rouse Hill

wabz likes this.
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

It's not as simple as that - 2/3rds of Rouse Hill is in the Hills Shire and the 1/3rd is in Blacktown Shire. Map on Hills Council website has this boundary.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.33.31 pm.png

This is current Rouse Hill boundary in Google Maps.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.35.05 pm.png

The below are the current suburb names and boundaries off the Blacktown Council website.

https://www.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/files/assets/public/blacktown-city-suburb-map.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.45.43 pm.png

4. RonAir

RonAir Active Member

Schofields you will get the benefit of Metro & train station ( depending on which part of Schofields it is) . Convenience and ease of living both the suburbs are pretty much similar .

5. Branden

Branden Well-Known Member Business Member

It is hard to give specific advice without knowing your overarching plan and circumstances. You mentioned you are looking for capital growth? But I would wonder if either of your proposed options would provide you with this (being new builds on a small land component). I would encourage you to look at your asset selection to determine which asset type (established vs new) is going to provide you with the best return.

From an anecdotal perspective, I have witnessed both Schofields and Rouse Hill grow rapidly (infrastructure, schools, etc) and would think with the right asset selection, either suburb could be a decent option in the short term. I hope this helps.

6. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

I would get a older house with a bigger block.

If you are keen, they are still properties in Quakers hill with bigger blocks

standtall likes this.
  7. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

Go visit the sites of the properties you intend to purchase after heavy rainfall. Watch for flooding and/or poor drainage that's rife throughout the area. In the mid 2000s I had an opportunity to buy land in Schoey for $70k. Sounds cheap even then; but it was subject to 1 in 50 year floods; and at the time was not permitted to build. Now, because of dollar signs in everyone's eyes council has overlooked the flood risk and have allowed housing to be built on that land that just 2 decades ago was deemed high risk of flooding and not to be build on.

BrunchNoLunch likes this.
  8. Chanlas

Chanlas Member

Regardless of council Rouse hill still sits under ‘Hills District’. Schofields is not.

9. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I would be going with the Hills Council over Blacktown (though I did grow up in Blacktown...)

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Nobody considers the blacktown council to be part of the "Hills District" other than perhaps those that live on the wrong side of Windsor Rd. The Blacktown side has been and remains a poor cousin. Look at the older part of Rouse Hill eg around the Ettamogah. There are two sides to the tracks and the side of Windsor Rd does count to value. Ironically, the HillsShire properties are further from rail etc.

This issue was evident and reains so for example with Baulkham Hills / Crestwood and Bella Vista. All are technically one postcode and the Baulkham Hills suburb. However the differences are well known and relect in values and school catchments etc.