New build - realignment of side fence, need neighbours contact details

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Skuttles, 27th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Hi all

As part of our new build we've found that one of the dividing fences with my side neighbour is out of alignment, in their favour. Its not out by much and I would usually just leave it, but our intended construction/setbacks warrant shifting it back.

The property next door is tenanted, but managed privately, so getting in touch with the owner formally (in writing) has proven difficult.

I have the owner's first name, last name & mobile number from the tenant. I verbally spoke to the owner regarding options to resolve, but the conversation wasn't very productive and I would therefore prefer in future for things to be in writing. As part of our conversation he wasn't forthcoming with an email or postal address and I dont expect that to change.

I have tried the intrawebs and council with no luck for a current, previous (last known) address or an email address.

Any ideas of where else I could reliably locate some details so I can 'officially' correspond with him in writing?
    Do text messages count as a medium for 'official' written notification?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 27th Jun, 2016
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you agreeing to give up land or wanting to take back land?

If the latter, and the fence has been up for a while, you may not be able to get it back that easily - look up 'adverse posession'
    Might be different in WA to Vic?

Also in Vic, fencers are allowed to move a fence a few mm - maybe 50mm according to a fencer I spoke with.

3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Get your solicitor to handle it for you.

4. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Thanks @Joynz , yeah WA has its own Fences Act, I previously went looking for anything specific regarding time that the fence has been up but found nothing. I am wanting to take back land.
    @JacM, given the neighbour's attitude I expect it will end up at my solicitors, maybe you're right and I should just go straight to that step, cheers.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2016