VIC New Build | Now or later

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rahul Purumandla, 1st Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Is this a good time to enter into the market for first home buyers?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rahul Purumandla

Rahul Purumandla New Member

Hello guys, I want to buy land in Mt Atkinson and build my first home. I am a permanent resident and not eligible for the home builder grant which ended yesterday. I wanted to get into the market after the homebuilder program has ended considering the sudden increase in land prices and the hyper activity in the new home space. I can now see that it was a wrong idea as it seems the prices have increased more than 25K for the land since the start of homebuilder scheme. I want to get into the market now and buy land, however there are few things that are bothering me:

1) I have a feeling that prices in new suburbs with a lot of construction will drop significantly mainly because of the huge supply of new houses in an years time (outcome of home builder grant) and near zero migration. Home builder has an uptake of 75K and that is almost 1.5 times the average number of families that migrate to Australia (Pre-pandemic).

2) QE program of RBA may create hyper inflation and the deposit I saved may loose more value

3) Borrowing capacity of people have maxed out due to 0.1% cash rate. So, most of us are playing with our maximum borrowing capacity and the RBA may not reduce or go into negative interest rate zone.

4) Bond Markets globally are indicating that the interest rates will go up the moment RBA stops QE

Please let me know your thoughts.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes prices have increased (not only just due to home builder) but I doubt they will drop

Rahul Purumandla likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Nobody has a crystal ball, so anything may, or may not happen. If there IS hyperinflation, then buying now has the advantage that if/when interest rates rise, so will your wages, plus the asset value would raise as well.

The only thing people can do, which is no different to any time in the past, is to take each day as it comes, and do your best to protect for the future.

Rahul Purumandla likes this.