New Bathroom Exhaust Fan - Condensation on Ceiling Problem

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by joe414, 31st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. joe414

joe414 Member

Hello All,

I'm going through an annoying issue at the moment. I'm getting significant condensation on the bathroom ceiling after a shower - you start noticing it around 5 mins in, and after 10 mins the ceiling is all wet. And it can take up to 1/2 hr to dry.

I have a small bathroom (bathroom size is approx 2.10 metres x 2.75 metres, and the height to the ceiling is approx 2.4 metres) and recently put a new 3-in1 exhaust fan in (it's an IXL sensation 12303 model).

The old exhaust fan was ancient and had been there since I moved in (about 10 years) but seemed to do ok (recently died though), and never had any issues in that time; though there was some slight condensation after say a 15-20min shower. It fit a smaller (262mmx262mm) cut out size whereas this new IXL one required the ceiling to be cut for a larger cut out size (330mmx330mm). The fan just vents the air into the roofspace (i'm in a top floor unit).

The issue is significant condensation on the ceiling. Is there anything that can be done about this? The mirror in the bathroom surprisingly remains fog-free though. I have the bathroom door fully open and the window open a little as well when showering.

I've had an electrician come and install some ducting (with it's own apparently more powerful fan) to vent it to a larger area in the roofspace, but this didn't do anything, in fact it probably made it worse so I got him to remove it. The electrician after that couldn't work out a fix and was stumped as to what to do in regards to the condensation.

Anyways, I'm not sure where to go from here, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do? Should I go for a smaller IXL model? Perhaps the 11303 model? Problem is the cut out size isn't 262mmx262mm anymore so I don't know how that can work. And that model doesn't apparently move as much air as this one (according to the box) so I'm not sure if that would solve the issue.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd look for the most are movement, and get it swapped, and the ceiling patched. It isn't going to be cheap but better than the long term issues you will face if you don't do it (... and take shorter showers). ;)

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Maybe discuss with IXL. They may recommend some ideas. Is its extracting ? That model has a large cubic volume rating. Its not in a corner is it ?

4. joe414

joe414 Member

What tradesmen do I contact in regards to getting a ceiling patched? (So as to accommodate a 262mmx262mm cut out again)

5. joe414

joe414 Member

I've actually had IXL send out their electrician and he said the fan was fine. He was the one that did the ducting attempt, but it didn't fix the issue. He was stumped as to what to do.

It's in the middle of the bathroom ceiling (where the old one was). It's just a slightly larger cut out size now (330mmx330mm as opposed to 262mmx262mm).

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

You can’t just put a fan in and expect it to work. It also has to be positioned correctly.

Eg. An exhaust fan next to a window is useless as it’s just sucking the air from the outside.
    Placing the exhaust fan far away from the window would be better as it would suck up the condensed air and exchange it with fresh air.

Also, try and duct the actual exhaust fan outside. Ducting an exhaust fan into the roof space is ok if you got no sarking.

I place my exhaust fan directly above the shower in my IP and have it wired to turn on with the lights. But it’s not a cheapy fan, but a blauberg in-line fan. So the fan itself isn’t placed above the shower, but about 1m away, it’s then exhausted to the outside.

Btw, the IXL 3in1 exhaust fans are rubbish.

I use something similar to this
    Kit #4: Med-Large Bathroom Kit TT150 (Up to 37m3) | Pure Ventilation

Westminster likes this.
  7. joe414

joe414 Member

I'm just astounded how this IXL one I have is not as good as the ancient one I had in there before. How is this possible?

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The old fan sucked, this one doesn't - oh, that can't be right. :rolleyes:

Anthony416 likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

From my experience the small 3 in 1s don't suck as well as the dedicated exhaust fans but the larger ones are not too bad

257m3/hr IXL Tastic Eco Triumph 3 In 1 Bathroom Heat Fan Light
    346m3/hr IXL Tastic White Neo Single 3 In 1 Bathroom Fan Heater
    407m3/hr IXL Tastic Silhouette 3 In 1 Bathroom Heat Fan Light

vs $60 one which does 345m3/hr Heller 250mm Silver Square Ventilating Ducted Exhaust Fan

You would leave the heater one in and add a simple one closer to the shower area so you don't have to patch the ceiling and still have the benefit of heat.

craigc, Optimus, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yeah I have to agree but they all quote cubic metes of airflow. Look at IXL and ask yourself about the area where the airflow enters. Its little gaps around the globes. I call BS on these 3 in one units vs a 250mm round extraction fan. Had a IXL years ago and it made more noise than anything. Uses lots of power too. Makes it warm but that about it. Gimme a fan that makes the room cold and it pulls the steam out

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Jun, 2019
    Westminster likes this.
  11. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

Joe
    I think you'll find the IXL is much deeper than your old fan, which was probably flush with the ceiling or close to it.

12. joe414

joe414 Member

Actually, I find that this new IXL one is quite flush to the roof compared to my old fan.

There's only space between the globes for the air to go up, whereas with the old one it was less flush with the roof, so air could come in from the sides etc.

I've been told by electricians though that this shouldn't matter.

But it's why I was thinking of trying the 11303 IXL model, as it sits less flush with the ceiling like the old one I had. Just have no idea who to call about getting the ceiling patched, as I assume it will need to be painted as well with anti condensation paint?

Or I was thinking of trying an even bigger one here: IXL Tastic Silhouette 3 In 1 Bathroom Heat Fan Light

I'm just not sure what to do.

13. joe414

joe414 Member

To be honest I don't really need the heat lights, just an exhaust fan with a normal light will do.

14. joe414

joe414 Member

The model here: IXL Tastic Silhouette 3 In 1 Bathroom Heat Fan Light

Is actually the same cut out size, so maybe try this one first? It has more extraction at 407m3/h as opposed to the current one which is 392m3/h. It doesn't seem like much difference though so I'm a bit skeptical it will work.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@joe414 How well does the fan extract if you take the cover off?

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2019
  16. joe414

joe414 Member

Doesn't make any difference. I actually tried that this morning when showering.

I've noticed that within minutes the condensation sets in. I wasn't even in the shower for 5 mins and you could see the ceiling wet. Took a good 10mins to dry.

I guess winter isn't helping now that it's here, it was about 16 degrees Celsius outside. But still, even with my old fan, I've never seen the ceiling this wet (especially after such a short shower).

17. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

How to stop shower steam in your bathroom | Showerdome