New and loving it here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jake235, 1st Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Get the job first. Then great move.

Jake235 likes this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Get your certifications, get the job, then you can maybe work on that bachelor part time.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Once you land the job, a degree is not important in this field. Continued certification in the particular product suite used is crucial, but a good workplace will pay for the courses.

The degree only helps when first getting an interview, because recruitment agencies and HR dept have automatic screening which stops an application before even getting to the real decision maker's desk.

I would employ someone who has hands on knowledge and tinkers at home with some old second hand equipment at home, is knowledgeable about all the software offerings (standalone, SAAS, cloud), than someone with a double degree.

The Y-man

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I agree, but you are going to be looking for a job, more than once in your career, so getting the degree, I feel is essential for the reasons highlighted, not because you can't do the job without the degree.

I know this first hand, as Hubby landed a job without a degree many years back, just by being in the right spot at the right time. It was a temp job, but he did so well, they kept him. :cool: The first thing he did was start a degree, so that he could stay in the industry, if/when he moved on.

wylie and bonchovies like this.
  5. Jake235

Jake235 Well-Known Member

Once you get your foot in the door with certifications, a bachelor is mostly redundant in IT because the focus shifts to what your experience + certifications are.

The world of IT evolves so quickly that there are so many jobs that didn’t exist 10 years ago that exist today. A bachelor in IT is worse than inflation haha. It loses relevance and value quickly.

There are a bunch of things in an IT bachelor that wouldn’t be relevant to the direction I’d want to take my career, so I’d be wasting my time and money. Ultimately the goal is to be better off financially in the most time efficient way possible.

You sound like you work in the industry in some capacity?

I don’t know if you’ve heard of it. But I have a friend who works for the internet security company Cloudflare in the US.

He’s been giving me guidance with regards to further education, certifications and knowledge I’d need for an entry level position within cloudflare.

6. The Y-man

I was the IT ops manager for the Australian subsidiary of a Japanese multinational ... before I took a package after 27 years and went back to uni o_O:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

Jake235 likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Clearly you know a heap more than I do. Go for it!

8. Jake235

Nice! What are you doing now?

Might have to get some insight from you from time to time.

9. The Y-man

I'm a university lecturer in business, entrepreneurship and innovation :D

The Y-man

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Top 3 tips for financial success are..? :)

11. The Y-man

1. A 9 to 5 (ok 8-6 these days) regular boring job is the most underrated wealth building tool out there
    2. Developing your career for the sake of it is meaningless. Developing your career for more pay/less stress to accelerate your wealth building is bonza.
    3. Marry a certified accountant.
    The Y-man

craigc, WattleIdo and New Town like this.
  12. Jake235

Well that was unexpected. Didn’t know something on the topic of entrepreneurship existed in the uni space.. would be super interested to hear the content of your lectures.

What made you deviate from IT to business lecturer?

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well I got that right!:cool:

The Y-man likes this.
  14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I would have thought the top 1, would be to START. We hear so many ask questions, but they are paralyzed by fear and never actually start anything. If you don't start, there's no way you can achieve anything.

Jake235, Sackie and The Y-man like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Whoops. I'll have to start again.

The Y-man and Sackie like this.
  16. Jake235

100%. The buck stops at action. Ideas, progress and inspiration all stem from action.

Overthinking is the enemy of action.

With that being said, action can be the enemy of thought too.

It’s important that sometimes we take the time to stop and reflect on our mistakes, what we’ve learned and how to move forward in the most effective way possible.

Sackie likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

100% agree mate.

18. The Y-man

We try to make the entrepreneurship subjects as practical as possible - it's actually difficult to get the students to move away from the academic mindset. We teach stuff like the types of financing for various stages of startups, preparing pitches and information memorandums.

It crosses over a lot with property investing interestingly enough - as at the end of the day, it is the investor money you are after. One of the key things I tell my students is that they need to convince me (an avid property investor) that their start up idea is more compelling an investment than putting my money into resi or commercial properties - or big established companies for that matter.

I started teaching at uni as a casual 20+ year ago after our first property debacle as a second job to make up some equity (see Hi from The Y-man). At the time, our company was still manufacturing here in Australia, so I could teach about production planning and ops management (MRP II, ERP, Kaizen etc) from a practical point of view (I was a COBOL programmer for the inventory management subsystem at the time).

The Y-man

19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

This is from The Millionaire Next Door & Stop Acting Rich and Start Living Like a Millionaire. The author is oft quoted and needs to be added to that very good reading list.
    • What is a good rule if you are determined to become wealthy? The market value of the home you purchase should be less than three times your household’s total annual realized income.
    • If you’re not yet wealthy but want to be someday, never purchase a home that requires a mortgage that is more than twice your household’s annual realized income.
    So many people love these books but seem to miss these incredibly important tips. When you do experience living within or below your income, either by design or 'bad luck', you realise that it's really the only way to fly.
    Another point never to forget is that capital gain and cashflow don't always go together but you can find properties that give you both if that is your goal - especially if you buy in a flat market and/or live in and renovate.

Jake235 likes this.
  20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Only problem, pretty much no FHB would be able to buy in Sydney off that rule. Even a studio will go for around $400k in Sydney now, or you can get a unit in Penrith or Mount Druitt areas from around $300k, but it's not too many people's cup of tea and it might not have much capital gain. I think those 2 rules might be more applicable when the interest rates are a lot higher.

For Sydney, buy a house on land. It will appreciate, much more than an apartment.

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2021
    bonchovies likes this.