Never rent to any family ever again

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Drekko, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I sense a appearance on judge judy soon!! with a slap down from Judy

skater likes this.
  2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@Drekko ,this sounds like she is 2 weeks in arrears which your property manager should be aware of. If not, and her arrears were prior to the appointment of the agent, then you might just need to write it off as a "Family Cost of Doing Business", one of the most unpleasant kind, given you just have to suck it up, or Christmas could be ruined.

On the other hand, given the level of obtuseness (assuming that's a word), you will need to wait to the end of the lease, or the end of the Covid-19 rent/no rent niceness period, and then it might be time to give Mumsy the boot, just as you would do to any other recalcitrant tenant.

You need to "sell up" as the September Jobkeeper "cliff" is approaching, but a necessary "reno" is required, so, terribly sorry, but bye bye Mumsy. But, given your gracious nature, and your concern over future spousal conjugal regularity (I tried to say it nicely...), you will pay Mumsy's moving costs, assuming Bentley don't manufacture trucks.

But, once Mumsy has moved on to a property belonging to @datto that may be "more regulated", you can then determine that the property market might have become "more destabilised", and use the words "capital loss" and "negative equity", and assertions of "frugal times" for family, then the next Christmas might be a little less awkward.

But it won't be by much, so don't sweat the small stuff.

AxeLy, craigc, luckyone and 3 others like this.
  3. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

haha nicely put

pretty frankly. Couldnt care if mumsy has a forever grudge against me

4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Then you have your answer, Bud.

Mumsy, and Santa, are kaput.

Half sad, and you can determine which one.

5. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

The only issue is that wifey will feel too guilty to make up false reasons about selling up etc, and she will tell her the truth haha.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Come on Son, grow a pair.
    You have to play the entire scenario to Wifey as well. Start today, discussing how the market is going to kaput with all this Covid rules and the IP will have to be sold up. Get an agent out for a market appraisal for that extra theatrical flavour (have her clued up first, of course). Get her to ooh and ah about how much MORE rent you could get for it if you get a new tenant, if that will help. Or how much $$$ you will get if you sell it asap, whatever makes the most drama.

What nationality are they, Wifey and Mumsy? We realise that in some cultures the son in law doesn't stand a chance.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

And this is why you get the Agent to do it. All your wife has to say is 'talk to the agent'.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  8. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Read the thread. I mentioned I couldnt care if she finds out. Either wifey or mumsy. Ill just tell her the real reason to wifey and let agent explain to mumsy

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What does your wife actually think about this?

Would she cope with her mother being asked to leave, regardless of who does the asking?

In other words, is your wife on board with you in this or will pushing her mother out create issues between you?

Joynz likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You lost me at ‘wifey’.

I'm surprised by the tone of some posts in this thread - with comments about your wife as if she’s a dim-witted person that you need to ‘tell’.

Michael Mitchell, luckyone and wylie like this.