Never rent to any family ever again

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Drekko, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It sounds like you're already on the right track- entry notice and entry via keys. Tenants get consideration when they are considerate. If they wont cooperate, the same things happen- they just don't get a say in it. Your agent should email the notice with a read receipt, SMS to advise and hand-deliver to the letterbox.

Also! Smoking inside is the single worst thing a tenant can do to your property- the staining gets into EVERYTHING and is completely uninsurable. I've seen houses have to be completely stripped because it's soaked into the gyprock, tile grout, etc!

AxeLy and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

It was a nice thought. Presumably it will only get more frustrating for you so you do need to make a change. Reality is that you should pay for the removalists and find something more suitable for her

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The whole reason you hire a PM in this case is so that you don't have to get involved. This allows you to play good cop / bad cop.

Have your PM (bad cop) jack up the rent, do their routine inspections and terminations if it comes to that. You (good cop) can say you feel sorry for her that the PM is so mean.......but you cannot get involved as they have been appointed contractually as your agent and you cannot get out of the contract. But offer to help her move etc when the time comes.

AxeLy, craigc, luckyone and 4 others like this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Do not intervene, in anything. Just let the Agent deal with her. Also, now she's two weeks behind, has the Agent sent a breach?

This! Even the government think you're rich. You have to give rent discounts to those affected by Covid, yet the banks, etc, don't.
    I can not like this post enough. Good cop/bad cop works a treat. So, I didn't have family in an IP but I did have a house at the back of mine, where the tenants always found out we owned it. This is EXACTLY how we played it. Especially when it was vacant and we got undesirables knocking on the door, wanting to rent it.

You stand up and tell her point blank, that you have signed a contract with the Agent, and you have NO SAY in anything that goes on with the property. You tell the agent what you have told her, and to follow ALL NORMAL PROCEDURES, including notice to vacate, inspections, getting heavy handed with smoking and rental increases.

AxeLy and Propertunity like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought Riff & Raff were noice tenants. :confused:

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Very noice! Just like their buddies Dip & Ship.

craigc and Scott No Mates like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm sure @datto knows the lot of them.

datto and skater like this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Probably! Thankfully now that I don't live there, I don't have to associate with them.

datto and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^^ oooh yeah. I think sash hangs with them now. lol

Scott No Mates and skater like this.
  10. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Yeh the problem is she comes over to look after our son so she will always confront us directly before she asks the PM.
    Ill just have to say, talk to the PM last time I spoke to you about the rent the PM told me off

Gockie and Propertunity like this.
  11. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

yeh but she completely ignores her. Can send a notice to vacate to scare her but realistically we cannot evict tenants due to covid-19 at the moment. Have to go through the process of mediation etc. When really I would pefer her out because she's unc-ooperative

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Just tell her that you really can't intervene. It's all up to the PM.

Look if you've got a GOOD PM, just let them handle everything. There's a few extremely good PM's in Melbourne that frequent this forum, so I'd suggest if your agent isn't up to par, to ask here for their names. It doesn't matter if she ignores the PM or not. Send the notices. And yes, you can still evict if she's not impacted by Covid.

13. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

She isnt because she never worked in the first place. She actually got a cash in hand job since covid-19 started

She basically thinks she is exempt from inspections and the law because she's my wife's partner. According to the last text she received

Regret it now

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you getting free babysitting / child care from her?

Pingu1988 likes this.
  15. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

haha nope. We pay her that to :)

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

one thing im very thankful is that I am very close to my twin brother, and we have lent money over the years to eachother but never let it get between us,

my ex, whom I think is a complete dropkick, also fortunately we never had any money issues with the rest of her family,

I dont understand why anyone would let money get between family,
    maybe im just lucky

ive learnt not to lend money to friends and partners though, through multiple bad experiences,

took me a long time to learn
    thank god my biggest loss is only $2,500

17. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Get your PM to call your wife instead of you about this. And tell your PM to feel free to contact your wife as much as they like. This will let your wife know the real deal of what's going on and I'd imagine she'll get her mother into gear pretty quick.

luckyone and TMNT like this.
  18. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

haha already do that man. Doesnt work. Or she will say yes yes, then 2 weeks later magically forget her obligations as a tenant

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Right, so she's not Covid affected, so she can't withhold rent. Just ignore anything from her, in regards to the property & let the agent deal with it. Everytime you speak to her, you are disempowering(is that a word?) the agent. If you've got the right agent, they'll pull her into line.

Angel likes this.
  20. Brody Hales

Brody Hales Active Member

that’s a worry , may I ask was it a close family member or some one distant ?

they maybe not taking you seriously given it ain’t a professional relationship.