Never rent to any family ever again

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Drekko, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Biggest mistake I did. First house I built as an investment property. Thought renting to my mother in law would be good. Look after the house, be good with paying rent on time
    complete opposite

She always ignores the agent
    never replies to texts, e-mails, or calls. Agent had to send a letter of notice to inspection. Where she will enter by using the keys.

Even me trying to talk to her she just says I never receive calls or texts or e-mails from the agent. Also when I tell her the agent is trying to call you to organise an inspection
    "Oh yeh ill call her back". Ring the agent a week later to find out. No contact or return in phone call made

so fustrating. Worst tenant I have out of the 3 property's I got

Kind of tired of it. What would you do in this situation?

Elle Ar, ellejay and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What you do probably depends a great deal on what your wife will tolerate.

You could find yourself stuck between your wife and her mother. Tricky...

3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

But was it a better option than
    1: upsetting your wife
    2: having your mother inlaw living with you ?

Elle Ar, Pingu1988, Cousinit and 7 others like this.
  4. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

Wylie I thought your punchline was going to be "stuck between a rock and a hard place" but wisely you didn't go there :D

5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Monster-in-law

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Tell your wife she can't spend any money on things she likes because her mother isn't paying any rent and there is no spare cash.

Something along the lines of "Sorry dear. We are really being stretched financially because your mum won't pay the agreed rent."

Pingu1988, craigc, Cousinit and 9 others like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Never mix business with family. Did you/the agent carry out the usual checks?

8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Oh Dear... What an alliance! :D Imagine they gang up against you. Trust me... 2 vs. 1. Game's over.

9. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Nearly every tenancy going bad that I've got personal experience of involves renting to friends or family. When I was a teenager (1960s) an uncle died having borrowed to the hilt. The bank foreclosed and my aunt was left homeless (house in his name, no protection: they could do this in those days). My dad happened to have a flat vacant so told my aunt she could live in it rent free until she got somewhere of her own. Give her her due: she got back in to work and saved hard. Within a couple of years she could have bought an adequate flat but she 'needed' a fair size house. Ten years later she moved on!
    Then there was the long-standing family feud involving another aunt and uncle who didn't quite understand that looking after my dad's house while he was working abroad carried the obligation to move out when he returned. And I've much more recent experience here of renting to a friend whose attitude to paying rent was 'flexible'.

AxeLy, Cousinit, Ted Varrick and 5 others like this.
  10. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

Money is money.. I would have a talk to the wife and tell her the situation. If it doesn't result to anything go through the normal process of termination.

People, family or otherwise love to take a mile when you give them an inch, clearly the MIL is taking the **** here..

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The OP doesn’t mention that the rent isn’t being paid just that she (MIL) won’t organise to be there for inspections.

Can’t the agent just go in anyway with notice? I can’t believe you are using an agent for your Mother in Law! Seems a bit odd.

jaydee likes this.
  12. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

You should always use an agent when you are talking assets worth vast amounts of money, and rent which can amount to quite a hefty sum as well.

Would you prefer your relatives just be late on rent/refuse to pay and then you are to chase them uip for money, what would you do in that instance?

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2020
    Pingu1988 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Usually, sure. But this is the wife’s Mother-in-Law! Risky both ways.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  14. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

My wife also has issues with her with other things. Actually all her family do. She is a big problem. Never listens to anyone. Always defiant and doesn't like being directed . Although she is great with my son so she is good in that regard.

She is good at paying rent but she missed one payment a long time ago ( still chasing that one up) and 5 weeks ago she missed another one so now chasing that up. Other then those 2 occasions rent is pretty punctual. She just cant be bothered with rent inspections or following up with the agent. Never returns calls/texts and e-mails to the agent

I always have to intervene and only doing it because she is my wifes mum

House is generally clean but I suspect she smokes inside. And lies to us and the agent about it. Being family and all we have gone there on occasion to pick up something or drop her off after family stuff

This is the only reason I got an agent is because she is difficult.
    By no means I would want to keep her as a tenant if for example she stopped paying rent completely or damaged the property. Its just frustrating she needs babysitting. Even if my wife disagreed to evict her. I have to do things lawfully still

The agent has had to send her a force of entry letter for the inspection and she will be doing it this week. I am expecting major defiance again between her and when the agent comes to her house with a new excuse along the lines of "you didnt tell me!, you were supposed to organise with me bla bla"

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Why do you need an agent to inspect? Can't you just visit on an impromptu basis given she's your MIL?

Just tell her you'll have to reluctantly follow thru with an eviction cos you're doing it tough but you'll help her move/ find something more affordable.

Cousinit and Angel like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A couple of those adjectives sound like every adult I know!

Who among us likes being directed?

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When is the lease due to expire? Maybe it's time to increase the rent, or move her on so that you can renovate/sell. If she wants to come and live with you, well she cant because you have to ........ blah blah something

Ted Varrick likes this.
  18. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Whether it be friend or relatives, people that know that you have “another” property that you don’t live in will think of you as “rich”. Rich people can afford it if I miss a rent payment. Rich people have everything, what about poor old struggling me? I can’t even afford cigarettes! These same people will come to despise you and your family for doing well or being better than them.

You should never rent to friends or relatives. Fullstop.

Elle Ar, AxeLy, Pingu1988 and 3 others like this.
  19. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Exact mentality she has. And always cries poor. Just spends it at the pokies and ciggerettes

If you had to deal with her you'd know why. Yes will have to increase rent eventually , Will probably do it after covid-19 vcat restrictions are over. As she will be very reluctant to pay an increase. Already under cutting myself due to try be nice to her and still complained about it

Yeh but apparently tenancy rules and law dont apply because you know. Family and all.

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So you already knew what she was like before you allowed her into your investment property?
    Sorry, time to get a real tenant.

AxeLy likes this.