Networking and horizon/mindset expansion

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Rooky, 13th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

I know networking is absolutely important for growth and mindset expansion. However, i am very poor at that. So just wanted to know what other PC members do for networking and horizon/mindset expansion? I am very poor in this aspect. Most of my knowledge comes from propertychat and 2-3 friends. But i always feel that i am not doing enough.

Maybe others are using some paid services like Destiny Wealth or other similar ones, joining property groups or something else. Would love to discuss what you are doing in this space and how it has helped you. Also, want to discuss how you keep track of your property goals and stay on course for property journey.

For me, propertychat(and somesoft) is number 1 source and it has given me so much insight. In fact, without it, i would not have started in property.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Networking and mindset development are two separate topics. This is how I've approached it over the years.

Networking:
    - Actively discuss real estate/markets/deals with other investor friends who actively invest.
    - Conversations with family (most are in business and real estate)
    - Discuss real estate and investing options with contacts I regularly meet at my partners client's parties. Most of the folks there are north of 20mil net worth.
    - Network with other consultants who work on my projects, eg builders, lawyers, town planners, designers. I secured some fantastic deals this way.
    - PropertyChat meetups. I've held a few small meet ups more for the social aspect of meetings other investors. But i know there are some big meetups in the city and other RSL clubs. I haven't been to one yet so cant comment, but it may be worthwhile going to a few to see how you like it. Never know who you'll meet :)

Mindset development: I have always been very big on this and I am certain without a shadow of a doubt that for many people it will be THE determining factor in how successful their investment journey will be. Many just don't realize it. Anyway, developing an optimal mindset is important because you will have many trials and tribulations along your journey and if you don't have the best framework to deal with it, it will definitely impact your level of success. I wont go into it too much as I could probably write essays on this topic, but if your interested, youtube material from Jim Rohn (absolute legend. I attribute most of my success to his principles), Les Brown and Eric Thomas. But especially the first two names.

Good luck .

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2021
    San2018 and Shazz@ like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

OP, is part of the issue your networking skills in general? Say you are at a party and you don’t know anyone, would you be able to start conversations with random people? These skills would go long way to be able to build networks.
    For example, during covid, got to know my neighbour a few doors down across the street. Usually it was just a wave here in there, but after a few conversations, found out he is a town planner. How handy is that?!

5. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Thanks Sackie.

Yes, Jim Rohn is absolute legend. His book Seasons of Life is absolute gold. I am going to make sure that my son read it and understand it before he turns 18.

Sackie likes this.