neighbours tree views

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by penfold25, 16th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. penfold25

penfold25 Member

Am in north east in melbourne in a new place and have a view on the second level that are blocked by neighbour behind us, they planted 4 trees along their fence. To explain we are on a split level sloping down so in a way it does make sense that they have some privacy as the second level does face into their house without it but now the trees are overgrown and before we bought the view was a bit better to. Apparently originally the place was the first their and had unobstructed views but its likely this will get worse and worse over time as the trees are already far above their house now. The views were never a dealbreaker but i wonder of my rights and how I should approach it as it be nice to work on out something. Im sure they were probably asked to trim them sometime before but im sure people dont like to be asked to trim their trees.

What you all think

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You could offer to pay to have them trimmed. They will say yes or no. That is about all you can do.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

From a legal standpoint I don't think you are entitled to maintain a view you once had.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You have no rights.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You want a view.
    Neighbour wants privacy.

Your "rights" in this issue are probably equally balanced by your neighbour's.

However, it never hurts to ask. Of course you must pay any costs.
    Marg

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We just removed some trees that basically blocked the sunlight from our neighbour's house for many years. They were overjoyed - wished they'd offered to pay to remove them years ago!! :D

The Y-man

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The trees down the road are now about 6 m taller than they used to be 20 oddyears ago and block my views of the Harbour Bridge.

They're not next door but a street or two away.

Do you think that I can get someone to trim them? :confused:

8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's worth a try.
    I think you need to approach the neighbour and tell them you understand that the trees give them privacy, which is great. But the trees are now obscuring your view.
    Ask them if they would consider allowing you to pay for just the tops to be lopped off the trees.
    I would get the neighbour over to your place and stand on your back deck with a beer in hand and agree together on a height to which the trees could be lopped.
    Scott

Gingin and wylie like this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, if you really had that view.....you or so eone else would have gone in ninja style and given them a fatal dose.....I suspect