Neighbours Parking on My Drive

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Gonx, 3rd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I'm trying to sell a property I'm currently living it while I renovated it and have been there for awhile now. I sold my car as I will travel soon but I have this issue with 2 different neighboring renting units that keep parking in my open carport.

It was a mistake when I met one of the neighbors after I sold my car and I said it would be OK for him to not park so tight in his space as I was not going to be using my carport as his space is right next to mine. But after over a month of him using my space I told him I would need it now as I had visitors that would use it. But he still kept parking over on my side but I did not bother to hit him up about it since I had not needed it since. But then I put the place on the market recently and the photographer came to shoot the place and I knocked on the neighbors door but later found out he was out of town so the photographer had to leave out the carport as his car was parked over my side.

So then I knocked on his door a few days later and explained that and told him I would need it to be clear now at all times as the place was on the market and buyers will not want to see other people parking in it. He was fine and said sure no worries and he said he would make sure to get in the habit of keeping in his side. Well, guess what, nothing has changed.

Now the other issue is another neighbor has been parking his motorcycle in my space lately as he bought one and his girlfriend has the car in their space. But there is enough room for both in their space anyway although it is a bit of a tight squeeze if they are going to be both under cover. I did not bother to talk to him about it and it really has not bothered me until now as I want it clear.

So I put up a notice in front of my space before an "open day" last weekend and said it must be clear from tomorrow onward. They both complied and the space was free for the weekend. So I took the sign down thinking they had both understood it must be clear now.

Well guess what, all this week they have both gone back to their old habits and both parking on it. the car is parked over on my side slightly and his bike is always parked there when he gets home from work,

So now I'm getting a little annoyed. First, the motorcycle guy has never asked permission to use my space or even talked to me and has gone back to parking there after a few days complying with my notice. The car guy has been ignorant since I have now requested 2 or 3 times he stops parking over my side but continues to park well over onto my space.

Now I really do not care IF I'm not using it which is most of the time but I think they have been abusing this. The thing is both of them seem nice guys and are always friendly and really good neighbors in the complex besides this issue. I do not want a big confrontation and who knows if the property sale for whatever reason fell through then I might end up living there. I still will live there until I settle and travel anyway. I don't want to argue with them and turn this into a bigger problem than it needs to be. The place is under offer already anyway and the buyer lives in another city so would not be checking it out until it settles. But its only in cooling off period and the property is still been advertised in case the offer does not get through.

I mainly want it to be free this week when the valuer comes around and maybe in the weekend in case other buyers drive past and check it out. After that I do not care as I do not use it very often and as I said I will travel in the near future. But as they have not asked my permission I don't feel I owe them any favours and I probably should demand they keep it clear now at all times. I don't want to come across as a grumpy neighbor in case I might need their help one day, who knows?

What would you do in this situation? Write a letter to each tenant, contact strata, call a tow truck, ask them for $50 a week each for using it?

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Under offer already = relax (congrats)

Drop a polite note on each vehicle, use please, include you have notified strata/body corporate.

Notify Strata anyway, it will make life easier for the next occupant. (Right thing to do so they have a good start):cool:

MTR likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fill the space with junk so no one can use it :rolleyes:

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

5. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Yes, a problem if the OP doesn't want confrontation.. If a bit of confrontation is ok, then bike would be easy to move.

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I'm sure the owner wouldn't be surprised if you accidentally knocked the bike over

Ps. Don't do this..... Get some one else to :)

MTR likes this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They are simply treating you as a door mat.

I think you must be a patient person, these clowns would not be happy if they did this to the wrong person/s.

It is a common problem in strata places, I remeber a guy who had told a neighbor while he was injured that is was ok to park in front of his garage, well, you can guess what sort of problems he had going forward, most people seem to be very rude or ignorant like this these days.

Perthguy, MTR and WattleIdo like this.
  9. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

your post is right and that what I was thinking when I wrote this thread. what I did not like was the fact the guy with the motorbike never ever asked me for permission and it was really pushing me to continue parking there after I placed the notice up.

So I just lost it and went and knocked on his door hard and he looked frightened. I could hardly speak as I was fuming. He came out in his dressing gown and played the dumb card but was polite and said he would move. it. I asked him if he had read the notice I put up and he played dumb. But he did see the notice as he moved the bike that evening but later started parking it there again. I told him I'm selling my place and please do not park there. As I was walking away I said you should have asked my permission... Feel better now :)

the car guy was out and that is not so much of a problem as I noticed he parked it better in last 2 days.

10. dabbler

Lets put it this way, the bike would no longer function or be in the vicinity any longer if done to some people.

Some others would use the offenders as punching practice.

I have found talking worked ok for me. But this is an area that can cause a lot of conflict. They are doing wrong by you if you did as you say and afforded them every courtesy.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yep. Some others would do this. The kind of psychos who punch up their wives.

But not anyone normal...

inertia likes this.
  12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Gonx, spend a couple of bucks on something like

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mitsubishi-Magna-1999/SSE-AD-4610015/?Cr=16

and then come home at some unbeknownst time...

with gusto!

And let's hope that the recalcitrant neighbours are insured...if not, well, you know...

pjames likes this.
  13. dabbler

You must be young.

When I was young, these same people would also beat you senseless if you swore around women if you were a man and asked to watch your mouth. Not everything is about women or beating wives.

Older gen men learn to respect, the youngies may be missing these lessons. But they may get one.

All bets are of with drug users, they could do anything to anyone over anything.

Good to be polite and respectful, especially in regard to such things the OP has posted over.

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'd be thankful you don't have bigger problems

wylie and dabbler like this.
  15. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

I do have bigger problems, like trying to sell my property. People parking all over my car space does not help, only stresses me out having to deal with arrogant neighbors. The valuer comes around to check the place and the motorcycle has leaked oil all over my space and its dirty from him parking there. That sort of thing does not help me with selling my place, maybe not a huge deal breaker but all the little things add up not to mention me losing sleep and now feeling slightly guilty today for telling him off. I'm a nice guy and fair, if he had approached me and said something like " I see you do not use your car space a lot, can I park my bike there when it's free?" I would have said "sure that is fine but I will need to let you know at times when I need it free". That is called communicating, not abusing a neighbors rights especially after I put a notice up that was polite and clear.

Gockie, wylie, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

Gonx,
    I was wound up just reading your post (yes I can react like a grumpy ol Nanna), however I feel you have been more than accommodating.

For me - the core of the issue is respect. I believe you would not have had an issue in the world with what they were doing, had they respected your needs too.

We have a neighbour issue where one takes the absolute "mick" with parking etc, knows exactly what he is doing and winds us all up.
    As for the other neighbours, we are respectful of each other and will go out of our way to help each other in anyway we can. This includes a couple of young tradie apprentice dudes so it is not an age thing - even these really young guys get how far a bit of respect can go.

Don't feel guilty - it is a wasted emotion. Also keep in mind the motor bike neighbour knew exactly what he was doing so was probably not surprised with your reaction.

Shake em off and go wrap it all up with a great sale;)

Gonx, pjames and dabbler like this.
  17. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

An array of nails scattered eloquently across the car space should take care of it.

Gockie and pjames like this.
  18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

When I lived in an apartment block I had an issue with a new tenant's boyfriend regularly parking in my space as there was no visitor parking. Got sick of it and parked him in.

He then came charging up carrying on about how dare I park him in, as though its all my fault and nothing to do with him in my car space.

Moral of story: some people are just selfish pricks, always have been always will be

Sasim, datto, Ted Varrick and 6 others like this.
  19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

wheel clamps work a treat too :)

cheers,
    Inertia.

pjames likes this.
  20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Can you tow it? Would only have to do it once

Gonx likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.