neighbours climber weed destroying my flyscreens do i need to keep cutting them or should they?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 3rd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

neighbours climber weed destroying my flyscreens do i need to keep cutting them or should they?

i was told anything that comes over to my side is my responsibility. is that correct. they grow so fast and are so strong and they have a cm shoots coming out from the branches gripping on everything and damaging window screens . its at a place that on my side of the property is very hard for me to access. is there no way to compel them to cut this damaging tenacious climber?

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Is the weed rated as an invasive or (even better) a noxious weed in your State?

3. justine77

i found a similar post on a whirlpool forum that said i can cut it on my side, i can put weed killer, i can ask the neighbour first if i can put weedkiller as it might affect his also, and when replacing the fence he has to pay for the extra costs associated with removing this.
    im loath to put weed killer there as no matter how safe people say it is its right near a bedroom window and its just not what i feel safe doing. its not easy to access to cut either well not at all from my side. maybe he would let a gardener access it from his side and just cut my side of it regularly , as if i need extra expenses but this might be my best option.

4. justine77

oh thank you , kierank that is interesting to find out. maybe i'll take a clipping to a garden centre nearby and find out. thank you.

kierank likes this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Some councils (and other government agencies such as DPI) have weed identification websites.

For example, Brisbane City Council has:
    Weed Identification – Brisbane City Council

Redwing likes this.
  6. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

just been through this. we rarely go around that side of the house and the neighbours creeper has absolutely taken over. overrun so thickly that it has killed a camellia tree and a 2mtr high tree fern, all up the side of our house, around the spout up two storeys and into our eaves. It has rotted all the fence and its all broken along the top.

7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I loathe climber vines. They are never maintained adequately and inevitably destroy things. I don't understand the attraction. Even when planted on a lattice, they need to be kept well under control.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Roundup sprayed liberally each month will keep it in check. Over the fence too If you can see where it's coming from.