Neighbourhood plan says park, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Development' started by scook32, 24th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scook32

scook32 Member

Hi all,

I'm interested in a property (for subdivision purposes), that is mostly zoned for low density residential developments but also has a small part of it (roughly 15%) that has been allocated for park space - according to the neighborhood plan map. Does this mean that the allocated park space HAS to be a park? Or could I develop the whole block as residential lots?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This area has specifically been set aside for a shopping centre or aboittoir - that's why it's called a park.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Unlikely to get out of that in a neighbourhood plan. You need a town planner to have a look and that will probably lead to a technical advice from council.

4. scook32

scook32 Member

Ok, so it looks like I have to hand that piece of land to council, right? If this happens can I get come kind of reimbursement? A relaxation on development requirements? A financial reimbursement/compensation? Do I have a say in the development of the park, like the way it looks, how it's set out?

5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Unlikely. Did you buy the block with the Neighbourhood plan in place? If so then you should have priced it in.

Densities can include areas required for dedication so it may or may not help depending on layout.

6. scook32

scook32 Member

Nope I haven't bought the block yet, just determining it's value and potential development before I make an offer. How do i determine the exact area that has been allocated to park space? - I can only zoom in so far on the map lol

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe the 15% is in a flood zone..

8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Is the neighbourhood plan finalised? If not, vendors could object?
    Have had this in a work related property in the past, which we managed to remove.