Neighbour wants me to cut down these trees

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by fuudrizzle, 18th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

They are old trees and need pruning badly ... I would have them removed [at neighbours expense] and plant something more suitable. :)

wylie, hematite and qak like this.
  2. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Make sire you get then to sign a contract to cover any damage your property, wood remains yours, they fully clean up and stack the wood for you, amd buy 6 foot replacement trees.

3. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I think this is your lucky day. As the others have said you should be able to play this right and get rid of a couple of trees which aren't in the best spot to begin with and maybe a new fence for free.

That front tree doesn't look very healthy, looks like someone had had a go at it with a chainsaw already in the past. Is looks like it might be a leopard tree or a jacaranda? Either way they are both too close to your house in my opinion and run the risk of root damage to concrete, plumbing etc. After they are gone you could plant some nice fast growing screening shrubbery down that side, maybe some Lilly Pillis etc? Check out the free council plants, they are usually good hardy hardy choices suited to Brisbane climate.

hematite and Stoffo like this.
  4. fuudrizzle

fuudrizzle Active Member

Blueskies thanks for the notice on free plants from Brisbane council, definitely will have a look in the future.

Yeah hopefully a free fence is a possibility.

I'm highly considering getting a contract done now if neighbour is wanting to go ahead with paying this all himself. Just to be sure a professional is used and if any damages occurs on either side of our properties it's his fault and cost alone.

Think a DIY contract from templates online should be fine for a small job such as this ?

5. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Cutting those trees down is pretty simple. Remember, at the end of the day you have to live next door to them, so don't be too greedy :)

wylie likes this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Those trees look suspiciously like Chinese Elm's... though it's hard to tell for sure from the photo.

If they are Chinese Elm's, you do NOT want them there. They grow fast and they grow big- up and out. Noxious weeds.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with the most here - get them removed at neighbours expense.

I think they're dog ugly trees and really close to your house, so might cause problems to you if they stay ... then plant something more realistic

fuudrizzle likes this.
  8. fuudrizzle

fuudrizzle Active Member

Update: he sent through a quote to have the tree cut down low and poison. I was hoping for more of the whole tree removed. Have declined as I prefer the whole thing removed and resoiled

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You might find you're up for part payment then ... similar to fences ... if the neighbour wants something fancier then they have to pay for it

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You argument may be that a tree stump is a potential termite hazard, especially so close to the house

fuudrizzle likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just wondering on what the basis a part payment related to the trees could be claimed?

I ask because it sounds like the trees are on the OP’s property so I can’t see how the neighbour could force the OP to either have them removed or pay towards removal.

Fences are a bit different because there is a specific law setting out the shared obligation, ways to work out costs etc.

wylie likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Avocado tree - so you can sell the fruits at $20 each for smashed avocado crowd :D

The Y-man

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They are your trees. Your neighbour wants them gone. I'd insist that if you agree that he removes them, he does it properly, has the stumps ground and the ground made good.

There is no fence there now, and while you could negotiate that if he wants a fence, he can pay, I guess reality is that he could issue you a notice to fence and you have obligations anyway.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This isn't good enough. You will be left with stumps. At a minimum I'd insist the stumps are ground and the holes filled in so grass can grow over them.

15. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Leaving stumps will make it more difficult to put in a fence if ever required.