Neighbour extending front Yard Fence 1800 high, is this correct?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by 212, 6th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 212

212 Guest

Dear All,
    I wish you can help me from you experience. My next door neighbour told me that he will extend his front yard boundary fence. and fence his front yard. The fence will be 1800 high. I am attaching the house on the map. My house is No.10, and his house is No.9.

The fence he wants to put is the red line, and the fence he mentioned is line the black line. Our houses are triangle blocks, the black line represents until where he can put 1800 high fence.

Is this correct?, Please guide me from your experience.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd May, 2019
  2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

@R.B. 1800 high is standard.
    I got 1800 high ALL around my PPOR.

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Local Council will assist with any guidelines /restrictions

Perthguy and wylie like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Erection of a front fence is governed by council which has its own rules. In our LGA, fences over 1.2m are required to be set back by a metre from the boundary.

5. 212

212 Guest

Hi Scott,
    on the council website it says "Fences along boundaries forward of the front building alignment should not be taller than 1.2m and consist of see-through construction;"

Is the front building alignment the black line in photo I attached?. this is what I am not clear about. How do i know my front building alignment?

Thanks

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

As other say, will depend on council or land restrictions, but I would say that is still not the boundary & you should be happy, I would say knock yourself out if they are not asking for money.

What is the concern ?

7. 212

212 Guest

Hi dabbler,
    I am worried that it minimise my house visibility from the street. Also, I want to make sure that he is doing the correct thing. If it is correct, I am OK with it.

He is not asking for money to answer your question.

Thanks

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@R.B. The building alignment is the blue line ie where the building has been built or if council has a designated setback from the boundary eg 6m. The effect is that the front yard can only have a 1.2m high fence.

As there are no front or side fences in the street an 1800 mm high fence would be out of place.

upload_2017-5-6_21-51-29.png

Attached Files:

9. dabbler

House not being visible, or accessible for me, would seem a plus.

Neighbors often will agree to things like this, if it will not look out of place or lower value, it would seem to be a good things too me, many people like privacy (and that would be their motivation I guess, not just excess cash to spend on fencing)

If it cut out water view or a really nice outlook, that is different.

If your worried about sale time and non compliant things, just ask the question your asking to the council, the wording would seem generic, not an absolute, otherwise I bet there is already things that would not measure up and may look stupid as your house is set back a ways (or one of them is)

10. 212

212 Guest

@Scott No Mates,
    Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking at. It is clear on the council website the fencing regulations. But my neighbour confused me when he told me about the fence line

5) Fences along boundaries forward of the front building alignment: Penrith Development Control Plan 2014 D2 Residential Development D2 - 33
    a) should not be taller than 1.2m, or if taller, of see-through construction;
    b) should not be constructed of metal panels;
    c) walls of solid construction and taller than 1.2m (such as courtyard walls) should be set back at least 2m from the front boundary (to allow for landscaping) and should not occupy more than 50% of the allotment width.

Thanks for your help.

11. dabbler

That seems pretty clear, maybe show him the regs and say how do you read this ?

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If its see through like a pool fence then 1.8m should be OK. Ask council
    If they see your concern they will come out.